Fondant Help Asap

Decorating By bwonderful Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 9:34pm by bwonderful

bwonderful Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:14am
post #1 of 6

I made Michelle Foster's Fondant yesterday and let it sit overnight to cover a cake tonight. I apparently used way too much powdered sugar because it was flaking everywhere when I started to knead it. I added crisco and kneaded away for my first layer. It went great! love it. But the second layer... I had to knead it forever to get it to stop flaking. So then I colored it and set it aside to rest. Then when I started rolling it was sticking to the roller and not smooth. So I added more crisco... that didn't work.. so then I added more powdered sugar.. that didn't work. Now it's flaking anytime I run my hand across the top of it. I rolled it back into a ball and it's resting again right now. What should I do? Should I just go to walmart and get Wilton (while my husband shakes his head) or keep trying?!?!?!

5 replies
cb_one Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 6

You could try Cornstarch. I had problems with that Fondant recipie as well.
Now I just stick to Satin Ice. Good Luck though.

icer101 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 6

going to the walmart or michaels to get some wilton fondant sounds better that what you are having to do to make this work... wilton fondant isn,t the worst thing in the world to use.... at least it rolls out good and smooth and you don,t have to go through with all this you,re saying you are having to do... yes. satin ice, pettinice ice.. chocopan etc. is better.... if you can,t get that near you... and you can wilton.. go for it.... hth

marknelliesmum Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 6

You could try putting it into the microwave for a few seconds (try 5 secs) then give it a good knead - this should bring it back to just made consistency - well it does with the fondant i use but it's different stuff we have over here. Also watch out coz it heats up very quickly from the inside out - you don't want a nasty sugar burn!

connie1220 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 7:19pm
post #5 of 6

Instead of Wilton's (which does'nt taste that good anyway) icon_sad.gif why don't you make MMF. Quick and easy and Yummy to. Flavor with any flavoring you want. I have used right away after making, but usally I let it rest. Hope this helps.

bwonderful Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 9:34pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for all the suggestions. The last time I tried to make MMF it died as one big lump in my sink and then I went to walmart for fondant. So this time I just ran to the store and bought wilton fondant. I did mix in as much vanilla as I could to help with the taste.

The wilton was actually really hard to work with this time as well. It was falling apart too but held together enough to get the cake covered. Although it was so sad in the back that the superman layer got a red cape! But I finished it and they picked it up last night. The people really loved it and said I should call Duff about a job. (yeah right..... really long way from being that talented.)

Here's a link to the cake:

Quote by @%username% on %date%