Fondant Trees

Decorating By octopus Updated 4 Aug 2008 , 10:31pm by cakequeen50

octopus Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:31am
post #1 of 4

does anyone have tips on how to make palm trees out of fondant? every time i try my tree collapses icon_sad.gif
how long should i let the parts dry for before i stick them together? and what the best way to make them stick?

thank you! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
cakequeen50 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 10:16am
post #2 of 4

Use 1/2 gumpaste or tylose pwdr in your fondant. form your tree trunk and stick a wire in it for support. You can use a dowel, but I like my palm trees with a bend in them. Place it on something like a soft sponge to dry so you won't have flat side. Let it dry a couple of days. Also make your palm frons the same day and let them dry. Put them together and let them dry some more.
I made these palm frons as one piece and then used a small piece of gumpaste to stick the tree trunk and the leaves together.
I cut the leaves with tin scissors

beemarie Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 5:41am
post #3 of 4

I love your palm trees--they are perfect! Can you tell me, did you cut out the leaves by freehand, or are they a leaf cut-out? I'd appreciate any advice, as I am in the middle of trying to figure this part out. Thanks!

cakequeen50 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 10:31pm
post #4 of 4

For the leaves, I took those really tiny scissors and cut a shape similar to a star but had "fat rounded" sides. So it had 5 pointed leaves, but one piece. I guess like a big calyx. Then I took those tiny scissors and clipped in just so far all the way up and down the sides of each big leaf. Then I dried it over a round, flat-ish, crumbled up piece of aluminum foil.
Glad you liked them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%