Drop Flower Advice??

Decorating By woohooimallie Updated 1 Aug 2008 , 3:48am by kakeladi

woohooimallie Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:23am
post #1 of 4

Hey guys, I just finished the 3 class in the Wilton 1 course. We learned how to make drop flowers and I promised a friend I would make a cake for her birthday on Sunday. I thought it'd be cute since her favorite colors together are black and pink to make pink drop flowers with black centers all over the cake.
But since I just learned how to do them and haven't had barely any practice at all, it there any advice anyone can give me so I won't screw it up??
By the way, I am talking about the flowers the you hold the bag at 90 degrees and twist the piping bag with tip 2D. Hope that helps! I am not sure what they are called.
But I appreciate even the most simple advice!
Thank you!!!

3 replies
Metabea Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:31am
post #2 of 4

Get yourself a cookie sheet flip it over tape wax paper to the back and just drop loads of flowers onto it. They go so fast the first two rows will give you practice. Always Always Always make extra not just a handful but I make at least 1/8 to 1/4 more then what I need. They are fast and easy so if some get broke or look funny I have plenty to pick from. And black and pink is one of my favorite color combos.

woohooimallie Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:38am
post #3 of 4

Oops I forgot to mention that they are buttercream flowers. I haven't learned royal icing flowers so they are going directly onto the cake. Also, I don't have much time to practice either. Maybe it's just a bad idea?

kakeladi Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:48am
post #4 of 4

I strongly suggest something similar to what Metabea suggested. Make them NOW and they will airdry in 24-48 hours. Do NOT cover the tray of piped flowers. Do NOT put them in the fzr. Just put them in a safe, dust free place for a day or two. Then you can remove them and place on the cake. If you use the Wilton Class buttercream recipe it will dry enough to handle them.
The only change I would suggest is to cover your pan w/plastic wrap instead of wax paper. When the flowers are dry enough they will fall right off the plastic when you lift it icon_smile.gif
Oh BTW: Yes, they are called drop flowers and can be made w/*any* star tip! Make smaller ones (maybe in a lighter or darker shade of pink) to mix w/your tip 2D.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%