Fondant Is Not My Friend

Decorating By something_sweet Updated 10 Aug 2008 , 3:14pm by JenniferMI

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:12am
post #1 of 14

Next Friday, a week from tomorrow, I have a wedding cake covered in fondant. I have made fondant cakes before, but never a wedding cake. My problem is that previously I has been using Wiltin fondant (eck!) and have been trying new recipes for homemade fondant for this cake. There are no fondant suppliers in my area, and I really don't want to have to order fondant and pay a ton of money for shipping to order SI! So tonight I made MMF with glycerin (which I haden't used before) and I was pretty happy with the final product. Problem was that when I went to cover the cake it stuck to my mat! So I pulled it off and started again... making sure to powder up my mat, and it did it again but not as bad. Then I had all these little dimples all over it and couldn't smooth them out! Then, from trying to smooth them out my cake got all bumpy and bulgy! Thank goodness it was a practice cake, but now I am petrified of how this wedding cake is going to turn out! I am felling like I never should have taken this on!
any suggestions to keep me from pulling my hair out??? I had heard some people say they freeze the cake before putting the fondant on?

13 replies
janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:16am
post #2 of 14

Last night I made my first MMF - did not use glycerin - let it sit overnight and just finished covering my cake and it went BEAUTIFULLY! Which really shocks me b/c usually I'm cussing. I used crisco on my hands and on my mat b/c mine seemed a little dry.

Maybe you didn't use enough powder sugar, maybe it was the glycerin....did you let it sit overnight? don't know what that does, but maybe something.....

Wish I could be more help - I know that you can order Satin Ice Fondant online.

something_sweet Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:45am
post #3 of 14

I made it this morning and let it sit all day, just started working with it tonight about 9pm. I didn't have a problem with it sticking to anything but the mat... I have no idea! icon_confused.gif

janelwaters Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:01am
post #4 of 14

STUPID Fondant!! I'm sorry!! I wish I could help you more. Maybe try to make some more tonight and work on it tomorrow night?? Thats my only suggestion!

*hugs* for stress from Stupid Fondant!!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:08am
post #5 of 14

Repeat after me... Fondant is Good. Fondant is our Friend... I like to really grease up my work surface and roll it out on the grease. Makes it stick to the cake, too. Good luck!

something_sweet Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 12:08pm
post #6 of 14

Thanks guys! You all have convinced me to try again today... icon_rolleyes.gif I'll let ya know how it goes!

My DH is gonna be so excited to have extra cake around the house! LOL

chillysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chillysmommy Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 5:51pm
post #7 of 14

I had horrible luck last weekend with my fondant sticking too. I made the mmf and had both a black and white version. The white looked and felt beautiful. The black didn't look too bad either. When I went to roll out the black, I used crisco so I wouldn't have the powdered sugar to deal with. First off it still kept sticking! Secondly, if it wasn't sticking to the board, it was sticking to the pin, even with it all greased up! When I finally got it to the size I needed, I picked it up and it ripped! The white wasn't as bad, because I was able to use the powdered sugar, but then I had the problem of it rolling up onto my pin, or creating a kind of wave effect when I rolled. When I finally got it on my cake, it cracked in several places too. I don't know what I did wrong! Not enough or too much crisco? Too much powdered sugar? How do you know when too much is too much? Also, what's the thinnest it should be rolled? 1/8" or thicker?

something_sweet Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:57pm
post #8 of 14

I just made Michelle Foster's fondant, and I have a feeling it might be my new fondant recipe of choice! I am going to try it out tomorrow and see how it works, but so far I am impressed!!! thumbs_up.gif

janelwaters Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 12:36am
post #9 of 14

Good luck - let me know how it works!!

something_sweet Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:10am
post #10 of 14

oh my... I LOVE Michelle Foster's recipe! I haven't had any problems with it! It is so easy to make and I covered a cake with it tonight... perfecto! And it tastes pretty good too! I am sticking with this one! Now fondant is my friend... haha! icon_cool.gif

janelwaters Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:18am
post #11 of 14

YEA!!!! Good for you - I'm so happy that it worked out for you!! let us know when you post pics of the cake.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 4:26am
post #12 of 14

I made my first MMF last week but I didn't use it on cakes, I used it for cookies....LLLLOOOOVVVEEE it!!! It tastes great and its very easy to make and to work with... I am going to try a cake this weekend to see how it turns out!!!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:50pm
post #13 of 14

I've had so many issues with MMF lately, I think the humidity??? that I'm thinking of trying Michele's recipe. Glad you found one to finally work! thumbs_up.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 3:14pm
post #14 of 14

Fondant really is our friend, and yes, there are GOOD fondants!

I think if people have difficulties, they just need some basic tips/lessons.
So many are intimidated by it... really, it's EASY!!!!

Best wishes, if I can help you in anyway, please yell!

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%