Need Help Please --Asap!!!! Gumpaste Bow

Decorating By Sweetpeazmom Updated 1 Aug 2008 , 1:28pm by msmeg

Sweetpeazmom Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:52am
post #1 of 5

Sorry in advance--Kinda Long
I'm working on the bow now so I need help asap. Thanks
I am doing my first Wedding Cake (other than my daughters) for this Saturday and I'm freaking out. It is a 5 Tiered Square Stacked 2-Layer cake done all in what I call decorator's Icing (Powder Sugar, Crisco, water, and flavoring). The Gumpaste Bow is to be done in dark teal. The Bride wants the ribbon tails of the bow to cascade down the sides of the top 2 tiers and curve alittle on to the 3rd tier. I am taking it in 3 sections (1 & 2) (3 & 4) (5 on the base board) to be assembled on site because every other tier is done in open basket weave and dots. She doesn't want borders except on the dot tiers which are tiers 2 and 4. icon_confused.gif (I think I just confused myself) lol So I figured I could pipe the dot border on those once it's assembled. Anyway---My question is --- If I make the bow tonight, how can I make the ribbon tails so they will drape naturally if the cake isn't finished yet? Can I just measure and cut them and put them in a Ziplock bag until Saturday and them put them on the cake? Can you even put them directly on the cake or will they bleed onto the buttercream? Thanks for any advice.

4 replies
Sweetpeazmom Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:29am
post #2 of 5

wendy1273 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 6:48am
post #3 of 5

I have done a lot of bow but never to put them on top of buttercream always on fondant so I'm not sure exactly what to do but I would cut the pieces of fondant early on the day of delivery because if you cut them too early they may get a little hard and they will crack when you try to put them on the cake.
When you cut them make sure that you wrap them in plastic and than put them inside a zipper bag.

I think that if you let the buttercream crust you should not have a problem with the fondant bleeding on the cake and that's why is a good idea that you put them on site so that is not on the cake for too long.

Good luck and hope someone with more experience on buttercream can write you.

Sweetpeazmom Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 1:14pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks Wendy for your help. I'll post how it turns out.

msmeg Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 1:28pm
post #5 of 5

the only time I have had things bleed on buttercream is if I refridgerated or froze the cake and when it was coming to room temp it sweat. to solve that turn a fan on the cake to dry the moisture as it comes up to room temp

so bleeding will not be your problem
the problem as I see it is that bow had already better be made it take several days for gumpast to dry to full strength If not turn the oven on and then turn it off and use the heat to dry them for several hours. the light may provided enough heat.

the color may not be exact match if one is dry and they other not but it should be close enough.

fondant may be your better choice if you hav enot already made the gumpaste bow it would hold its shape better draped on the cake as it is usually thicker than gumpaste.

either way I would take some cake pans and stack them so you could practice what you plan on doing before you get there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%