Petit Fours, How Do I?

Decorating By mom42ws Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 5:46pm by SWEETBAKES

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:25am
post #1 of 4

Hello all!

I have a customer who would like individual cake servings for a baby shower but made like a petit four. So I'm guessing she wants essentially a large petit four, a single serving. I've never made these before and would love some advice. I have seen poured fondant sold online, should I purchase it or make my own from fondant I have here (Satin Ice)?

Do I make petit fours in a cookie pan and then just cut them in the size I want? What would you suggest as a good single serving/mini cake? 2 x 2 or a bit larger? The budget for 20 dessert pieces is anywhere from $100-200. Any advice or recommendations would be great!!

Thanks,
Ashley

3 replies
Suewillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suewillo Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:06am
post #2 of 4

I would bake a cake in a 12x18 pan and get a cookie cutter that is square the size you want the petie fours to be and cut them. I would make my own poured fondant and flavor it then make decorations to put on each petie. You can make your cake any flavor if the customer wants it. You can get the poured fondant recipe from this site. Hope this helps. You can make baby items to go on each one like rattles pins bottle diaper pacifier.

auntsteff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsteff Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:06am
post #3 of 4

Here are some links that I found when I was getting ready to make petit fours for the first time. I made my own pourable fondant from a recipe I found here at CC and it got rave reviews! Sorry, I don't remember which one it is, I have the print out at home.

http://cakesandcupboards.blogspot.com/2008/01/lisas-easy-petits-fours.html

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-482313-petit.html+fours
(youtube link @ bottom of post)

SWEETBAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SWEETBAKES Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 4

For a different taste, you could also use candy melts to coat the petit fours rather than poured fondant. Just melt the candy melts and add a little veg. oil to thin it down some, and pour it over them. I also suggest the same thing that Suewillo says (using a square cookie cutter). Once you cut them out you should freeze them for about 20-30 min. then cover them (that has been easier for me when I do them).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%