Advice On Baking A Large Cake For 200

Decorating By lsienna Updated 1 Aug 2008 , 2:26am by kakeladi

lsienna Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 1:53am
post #1 of 2

I need to make a large cake enough to feed 200 people. My question is, I never made any cakes larger than 8". Considering some of the things to be careful for, I have a few questions about how to do this.

First, I need this cake to have one large surface as there are items that will be anchored on top of it down through the base. So these cakes will surround these anchors.

I was thinking of making a total of 4 - 12x18x2 inch cakes and stacking them so there will be (2) 12x18 stacked and filled in between that will be slid together side by side. Then they will be frosted entirely to make one big cake. I was going to go with a buttecream that will crust, with very little butter as I cannot predict what type of weather will be for that day.

Will these cake amounts be enough to feed 200 people or will I need an additional amount made seperately to make for the right amount? What size cake do I need?

Also, will using one cake nail in the center of each pan work to help cook it properly. I can only bake one cake at a time in my oven.

I have only baked 8" cakes, and generally not from scratch. Always, when I peek in the oven to see if it is done, and make the slightess bump, the cake falls. Why is this? How do I prevent this from happening on these cakes? Does that happen to all cakes?

Last, most importantly, this cake will be outdoors late this summer under tents. I would love someone to offer a nice recipe for the cake and filling that might go over well with a large event crowd.

Being my first time making a cake for a customer as well as this large, I would love to try a scratch recipe but it has been suggested by others that it might be easier for me for this purpose to make a mix cake doctored up as scratch recipes are tough to work with, measure properly for such a large cake. Any suggestions on this, and what kind of filling w/ recipe please might work well?

Please- any and all advice are most appreciated. I have a month to plan this out.

Thank you,
lsienna

1 reply
kakeladi Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:26am
post #2 of 2

I was thinking of making a total of 4 - 12x18x2 inch cakes and stacking them so there will be (2) 12x18 stacked and filled in between that will be slid together side by side. Then they will be frosted entirely to make one big cake. I was going to go with a buttecream that will crust,.......
This should do nicely. With cuts of 1x2x4 there should be 218 servings.
Just be sure to use a **VERY!** sturdy board. Best would be a piece of plywood well covered.
Next best would be 3 full sheet cake boards glued together.

will using one cake nail in the center of each pan work to help cook it properly. I can only bake one cake at a time in my oven.......
Yes. I have baked 100s of that size without even one nail but go ahead & use one. It will make you feel bettericon_smile.gif

Always, when I peek in the oven to see if it is done, and make the slightess bump, the cake falls. Why is this? How do I prevent this from happening on these cakes? Does that happen to all cakes? .....
You should not open the oven until you can smell the cake. It's the temp dropping/cold air hitting the cake that causes it to fall. Bake at 325 degrees. That size pan should take about 45 to 60 minutes. If you can smell the cake at 45 you can 'peek in' but most likely it will need a bit more time. The fewer times you open that oven the better!

would love someone to offer a nice recipe for the cake and filling that might go over well with a large event crowd........
How about making 2 flavors? Make 2 lemon and 2 white or chocolate layers. You can use the same filling for those flavors - raspberryicon_smile.gif People will love it. You can buy filling in the sleeve at most cake supply stores. It will hold up well in summer heat.
There is nothing wrong with using cake mixes - especially if you use my WASC recipeicon_smile.gif It can be used with any flavor cake mix. 2 recipes of that is the perfect amount of batter for your 12x18x2 pan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%