How To Work With Fondant

Decorating By TSmith Updated 1 Aug 2008 , 2:25am by TSmith

TSmith Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 1:51am
post #1 of 7

I have been making cakes for a few years now but i have not dealt with fondant. i recently bought alot of this woman that had to stop decorating cakes. I was wondering how you roll it out and stuff. i tried to but it stuck to my roller and ripped bad. how do you get it to roll smooth and not rip?? i hope someone can help me. i am wanting to make my moms birthday cake with fondant.

6 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 1:59am
post #2 of 7

Some people use crisco to roll out their fondant, and others use powdered sugar or cornstarch. I've found the crisco to be a little bit easier, because you don't have to keep picking up the fondant and flipping it or adding more powdered sugar or cornstarch, but it's a matter of preference, so try it both ways before you decide what you like.

gateaux Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:14am
post #3 of 7

I use a mix of 1/2 corn starch and 1/2 powdered sugar and it works great.

Good Luck.

TSmith Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:15am
post #4 of 7

Do you put crisco on the fondant or on the roller?? wouldnt it make a greasy look and feel? and wouldnt powdered sugar make it white??

tracycakes Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:15am
post #5 of 7

I started playing with fondant and gumpaste and I love it! It is so much fun and not near the cleanup and mess of buttercream.

Couple of hints I've learned:
1) get a piece of vinyl from Wal-mart to work on, it's on the roll in the sewing department and it really helps keep your fondant from sticking to the surface
2) a little shortening on your work surface and your rolling pin - I've used shortening, powdered sugar and cornstarch and the shortening works best for me
3) make sure to knead your fondant well and get it pliable and smooth
4) www.atecousa.com - great videos on rolling out fondant and putting on a cake
5) get the Wilton fondant book - it's a good source to help you learn the basics
AND FINALLY
6) practice, practice, practice

Have lots of fun while working with it! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

summernoelle Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:21am
post #6 of 7

I really love working with fondant.

Knead it very well before you roll it out.
When using the PS or cornstarch, just use a light hand with it. Sometimes that can dry out the fondant, and you will get something called "elephant skin".
If the fondant is dry use a small amount of Crisco. Make sure it is the regular fat Crisco, not the new no trans fat one.

The PS won't make it white. A great tip is to keep a spary bottle with clear alchocol (vodka, etc) and spritz the cake when you are done. It removes all the residue and doesn't leave any marks like water will.

TSmith Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:25am
post #7 of 7

Thank-You all for you replys. i will try the crisco and see how it works. if you use cornstarch and powdered sugar wont it change the color of your fondant??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%