Anyone Use Dixie's Cookie Icing For Their Cookies?

Baking By disneynutbsv Updated 29 Aug 2008 , 6:15am by Tashablueyes

disneynutbsv Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 1:07am
post #1 of 19

I just got the sample pack and was wondering how people liked iticon_smile.gif

18 replies
Honeydukes Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 8:39am
post #2 of 19

I tried it a while back and liked it. At first taste I thought it was a teency bit salty, but once it was on the cookie it was much better. The sweet of the cookie balanced the flavor nicely. (My DH liked it just fine right out of the container with a spoon, though.) I don't decorate cookies with buttercream much, but it piped well and dried with a slight crust. I didn't get a chance to use it as a glaze. You're supposed to be able to warm it and then pour it on.

If it were sold locally I'd try it again. Lat time I ordered it from Kitchengifts, but the shipping is too much for me now.

disneynutbsv Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 10:45am
post #3 of 19

Thanks for your response! I was curious because the dvd that came with it says for the glaze it dries in 15 minutes (instead of waiting a day for it to try)...

Honeydukes Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutbsv

Thanks for your response! I was curious because the dvd that came with it says for the glaze it dries in 15 minutes (instead of waiting a day for it to try)...

Wow! Yours came with a DVD??!! I bought a small container and it didn't have anything but very basic instructions on the label. Where did you get yours?

disneynutbsv Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 19

I purchased the sample pack directly from Dixie's and it came with quite a few different icings to try and the dvdicon_smile.gif

disneynutbsv Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:43pm
post #6 of 19

http://web.mac.com/dixiesicing/Site/IcingVideoFull_.html

Here is a link to the video which I believe is the same thing that I was sent.

Honeydukes Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 2:49am
post #7 of 19

Thanks for the link!

Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 11:28pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydukes

. . . (My DH liked it just fine right out of the container with a spoon, though.) I don't decorate cookies with buttercream much, but it piped well and dried with a slight crust. I didn't get a chance to use it as a glaze. You're supposed to be able to warm it and then pour it on.

If it were sold locally I'd try it again. Lat time I ordered it from Kitchengifts, but the shipping is too much for me now.

You said it is a buttercream, but you can warm it pour it on?? Wouldn't that just be kanda' soggy buttercream? Have you tried this, and if so how did it work?

Honeydukes Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:20am
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats

You said it is a buttercream, but you can warm it pour it on?? Wouldn't that just be kanda' soggy buttercream? Have you tried this, and if so how did it work?

According to them, it can be warmed and used as a glaze. I didn't get an opportunity to use it that way -- I piped it.

http://www.dixiesicing.com/info.html

"Cookie Decorating Blend (Green Label): Formulated for a âdry-to-the-touchâ finish. Sweeter & heavier than original icings. A firm, smooth glaze can be made by gently warming and mixing icing with a small amount of water. No need for a second product to complete the task."

Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:28am
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutbsv

I just got the sample pack and was wondering how people liked iticon_smile.gif

You were wondering how people liked it, now so am I. So far it's only you and Honeydukes. Honeydukes said she liked (as did her husband), you didn't give your opinin. Is it worth trying? icon_confused.gif

disneynutbsv Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:33pm
post #11 of 19

Well, I didn't really care for her icings...but...I haven't tried the cookie icing yet. I tried her other icings out for FBCT, but I couldn't get it to smooth for the life of meicon_sad.gif I'm sure others love it, but it just didn't work for me.

GeminiRJ Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 5:35pm
post #12 of 19

If you like the icing on the "Lofthouse Cookies", it is very similar to that. I'm a fan of her cake icing, and use it exclusively. I just got done making a wedding cake where the bride wanted a lime green cake covered with blue circles and rings. Dixie custom mixed the icing for me, so I didn't have to mess with it or run the risk of running out! Even with the color added, the icing didn't have a chemical taste. And I froze thin layers of the blue icing, cut out the shapes, re-froze, then applied to the cake. Time consuming, but it looks very nice. When I finish the cake, I will post pictures. It's prettier than I thought...I thought it would be kinda shocking, but you give the bride what she wants!

Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 10:44pm
post #13 of 19

Thanks GeminiRJ, I think I will give it a try. I really like the icing that I make for cakes icon_smile.gif , but havenât found a cookie icing (or recipe) that I am happy with yet icon_sad.gif .

Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 12:10am
post #14 of 19

I couldnât find anyplace that sells it around me, so I ordered some on eBay yesterday. It was $16.85 with FREE SHIPPING for a 10 ½ cup sampler. There was no mention of the DVD in the listing; I hope it comes with one. The seller has real good feedback (100% positive). After I ordered it, I went to http://www.dixiesicing.com/info.html (like Honeydukes suggested), and found out I could have saved $1.85 if I bought it direct (oh well) icon_cry.gif . The only reason I didnât go to Dixieâs site in the first place was I figured they would require a huge minimum order and a tax number, or business license number (which I donât have because I just work from my house). Turns out you donât need either one, and there is no minimum order to buy direct.

GeminiRJ Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:48am
post #15 of 19

Dixie isn't one of those that sells only to businesses...I'd be in trouble if she did! I hope you'll like her icing as much as I do. You can always see if you can badger a decorating store around you to stock her icing. Or get together with a group of decorators so you can save on the shipping.

Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 12:26am
post #16 of 19

I finally got to the Post Office yesterday, and there was my sampler of Dixieâs icing & it did have the DVD thumbs_up.gif All of the icings were much better than I expected. When Honeydukes said it was a buttercream, but you can warm it pour it on, I really thought it would end up as soggy Buttercream. Guess what, it did work! It isnât quite like Buttercream, but itâs creamy inside and forms a crust outside so it holds the decorations nicely. To use it as a glaze you add a little water and warm it up just a little. It worked just like the DVD says.

What I liked even more then the cookie icing was the almond flavored one for cakes. This one is super creamy, smooth, tastes soooo good and doesnât have to be refrigerated. I was just looking for a good cookie icing & always thought my own cake icing was great, but this one really gives it a run for the money. After watching the part of the DVD about making your own I figured it out and it comes out almost the same price to buy it as it does to make my own icon_biggrin.gif

Tashablueyes Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 4:35am
post #17 of 19

After reading all the rave reviews I had to try it myself, I bought it on Ebay and it came with the disc. I didn't like it! I think I may be the only one, but the flavor was kinda weird salty and chemically to me.

Honeydukes Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 5:29am
post #18 of 19

I think I want to try it again. I remember it being a little salty, but once on the cookie it evened out. DH didn't notice any saltiness. Don't recall any chemical taste. I still would like to try it as a glaze.

Has anyone tried warming their homemade buttercream and using it as a glaze? Something like the Wilton decorator recipe might be similar to Dixie's maybe.

Tashablueyes Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 6:15am
post #19 of 19

I did add a tiny bit of hot water to mine and it was easy to smooth on like a glaze, I think it did harden just slighty before my daughter and husband snarfed the cookies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%