Fvbc Vs. Imbc

Decorating By seagoat Updated 4 Aug 2008 , 5:25pm by Pistol

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 12:39am
post #1 of 15

Which one is better to use in warm climate 90º or so?

What do you guys do to customize the recipes? Any suggestions

I have a lady that does not want shortening in the icing.

Also, she wants a chocolate cake that calls for melted chocolate in the mix??? I use the chocolate cake from WBH. Anyone have a recipe for a tried and true chocolate cake recipe with melted chocolate?

TIA, Jessica

14 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:09pm
post #2 of 15

What is FVBC?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cb_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cb_one Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 15

Im curious myself.....the WBH chocolate recipie is all that I use though.

Rincewind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rincewind Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 15

I use a recipe that has both melted chocolate and cocoa powder. It is amazingly good- so fudge-y, chocolate-y, delicious!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/DOUBLE-CHOCOLATE-LAYER-CAKE-101275

Is FVBC French Vanilla Buttercream?

seagoat Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 15

Hi guys,

Sorry about the confusion. Yes, FVBC is French Vanilla Butter Cream and IMBC is Italian Meringue
Buttercream.

The cake is baked so I am more concerned about the icing. I think I'll give the IMBC a try...

playingwithsugar Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 15

seagoat -

Hummm, Now you have me curious.

Here in the US, French Vanilla Buttercreme is usually a flavor, not a type of icing.

Are you referring to the buttercreme icing which is made with egg yolks instead of egg whites?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 10:57pm
post #7 of 15

If you are considering French Buttercream (made with egg yolks, sugar syrup, and butter) vs. Italian Meringue Buttercream (made with egg whites, sugar syrup, and butter) then go with the IMBC.. it's more stable than french buttercream.

FBC is really good though.. very rich and very yellow in color.

seagoat Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 11:16pm
post #8 of 15

I have a recipe here from Toba's book for the FVBC that is cooked white sugar/milk/flour mix (then cooled) and added to butter/whipped cream. I have tried it before, taste great but doesn't really hold the color.

I used IMBC. I need more flavoring...I'm out! As long as it holds up in hot weather...I'll start using this icing instead.

playingwithsugar Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 11:27pm
post #9 of 15

seagoat -

I am familiar with that icing by another name - Mary Kay icing. I love it, because it reminds me of the vanilla filling used in Drake's Snack Cakes, which are prominent where I grew up in New York City, but hard to find here in PA.

Seeing that you are in Costa Rica, and much closer to the equator, I am surprised to read that you used any meringue buttercream, since the base is butter. But then again, they might not sell vegetable shortening down there.

Did the IMBC hold up for you? Did you decorate and make flowers with it, or just use it as a base and border icing? Which recipe did you use?

I am curious to hear how well it worked for you. I have a friend in Guatemala who has a devil of a time getting icing to work for her.

Thanks in advance -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

seagoat Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 1:00am
post #10 of 15

Playing with sugar,

I used Shirleys in the recipe section. Today wasn't so hot, I was able to get by. I usually use the shortening base but this customer wanted only butter. The powered sugar we get here is pretty grainy and not even sure if it's cane sugar or beet sugar. I would love to use an icing that 1) uses regular sugar 2) taste great! I have tried soo many recipes and find I don't really like any of them. I bought creme boquet flavoring, but to me it's taste too much like chemicals. I have the same problem with Butter flavoring. I do like orange emusion, but now I'm out and have to wait til someone comes down from the states.

Sorry to ramble, I saw your web site the other day! Great idea. If you have any suggestions on icings...please feel free to let me know.

Jessica

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 1:20am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagoat

I have a recipe here from Toba's book for the FVBC that is cooked white sugar/milk/flour mix (then cooled) and added to butter/whipped cream. I have tried it before, taste great but doesn't really hold the color.

I used IMBC. I need more flavoring...I'm out! As long as it holds up in hot weather...I'll start using this icing instead.

I'm so glad to see this post! I have Toba's book and was wondering how that icing is! Does it hold it's shape well? Like, can you pipe with it?

Thanks!

seagoat Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 1:28am
post #12 of 15

mjballinger

If you add orange emulsion and vanilla it's sooo good. I think it would work great in cooler conditions. I am usually between 80-100 here and it didn't work for me. Yes, you could use it as a base and it pipes well.

Good luck on your hernia removal!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 1:52am
post #13 of 15

So you made IMBC with powdered sugar? How in the heck did you do that?? I use SMBC exclusively and it tastes great and uses regular sugar.

seagoat Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 3:44am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

So you made IMBC with powdered sugar? How in the heck did you do that?? I use SMBC exclusively and it tastes great and uses regular sugar.

No, I use powered sugar only with shortening recipes. I would like to only use regular sugar, like in IMBE and FVBC. The powdered sugar here is really grainy.

Sorry for the confusion

Pistol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pistol Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 5:25pm
post #15 of 15

A little off topic here but can anyone tell me how long you can leave IMBC at room temp. and it still be good?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%