Permian Basin Fair!

Decorating By diamondsonblackvelvet13 Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 8:15pm by diamondsonblackvelvet13

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 11:46pm
post #1 of 7

I am SO excited! I am going to enter my FIRST contest EVER! It is for amateur cake decorator- novelty division. The theme is : School Days: Past and Present. I want to WOW them. I have this cake idea but need other ideas and advice on how I would even put this cake together.

WOOOO HOOOO! icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks for looking!
Thanks in advance too!

What could I use for the desk legs?
LL

6 replies
tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:26am
post #2 of 7

Wow! That is really cool and you are really brave to attempt it! thumbs_up.gif

I can't give a lot of advice but my recommendation is pvc pipe for the desk legs. You will need some type of support through the entire thing and pvc is just the trick. You could cover it with modeling chocolate or marzipan and fondant and then pain it silver.

I took a sculptured cake class with Bronwen Weber a couple of months ago and the main thing was teaching the supports - pvc. I'm trying to come up with some cool idea myself for OSSAS - my first time entering and I'm freaking out.

Where's Doug? He'll draw out a whole support system. icon_lol.gif

Good Luck and post pictures!

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 1:23pm
post #3 of 7

Maybe perspex rods or just dowels which would look like wooden chair legs anyway. Just cut to different lengths to get the slant you want for the table?

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 7

Banba- Is perspex the same thing as PVC? The white plastic looking pipe?

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 7

I have decided to go with a not grand idea for the cake. Between life and cakes, I won't have enough time to practice. Sigh, Next year.......

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 7

This is the cake I've decided to do. What do y'all think? How big should I make it? I can't use my usual box mixes (ugh!) who has a good recipe you recommend? Any ideas for the fillings (must be non-refrig)?

Oh! Before I forget- What would be the best way to make the screen without edible printing availble?
LL

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:15pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks to everyone who helped out. I am not going to be able to enter the fair after all. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I'll start planning for next year.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%