Store Bought Fillings!!!

Decorating By mandygirlxoxo Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 2:33am by dee-lite

mandygirlxoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandygirlxoxo Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 11:38pm
post #1 of 16

What do you use for store bought fillings?

can you use jelly?

anyone have a filling recipe that they use alot or have used before, and really liked it?

please let me know =]

15 replies
lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 16

You can mix preserves/jam with buttercream and that makes a really nice filling. Blueberry jam and icing is sooooo yummy!

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 12:08am
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrieg

You can mix preserves/jam with buttercream and that makes a really nice filling. Blueberry jam and icing is sooooo yummy!

I LOVE blueberry!! That sounds scrumptious!! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 12:13am
post #4 of 16

Not sure of the shelf life or refrigeration requirement ... jellies/jams need to be refrigerated after opening because they tend to mold pretty fast. I use the sleeve fillings that have a shelf life just this side of forever.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 12:25am
post #5 of 16

I use frozen peaches/strawberries/blueberries/raspberries, whatever fruit really, and put them in a pot with some sugar, vanilla, cornstrach and other flavorings. Boil until it reaches the consistancy of a thick jelly. It does have to be refridgerated, but the fillings come out so fresh tasting, that I get a TON of compliments.

Make sure that if you get whole fruits that you cut them up into bite size pieces.

HTH

Tootall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tootall Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 12:44am
post #6 of 16

I use jam (eep! Typo and I put HAM! Ugh! What a nasty filling! icon_lol.gif) all the time and I don't refrigerate my cakes. Of course, they only sit out for a day or so, then they're gone icon_wink.gif I like to use pie filling, too. Like Strawberry pie filling, and lemon pie filling icon_biggrin.gif YUM!

FlyGirl08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlyGirl08 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 12:45am
post #7 of 16

This is a delicious recipe that I've used this summer for strawberry mousse. You could probably change the flavor with a different gelatin and fresh fruit. It holds up really well and it tastes incredible...with refrigeration it lasts at least 2 weeks. Enjoy:

1 pkg. (8 oz.) Cream Cheese softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup boiling water
1 pkg. Strawberry Flavored Jello
1/2 cup cold water
2 cups thawed COOL WHIP, divided
2 cups sliced strawberries

BEAT cream cheese and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed until well blended; set aside.

STIR boiling water into dry gelatin mix in small bowl at least 2 min. until completely dissolved. Add cold water; stir until slightly thickened. Gradually add to cream cheese mixture, beating after each addition until well blended. Gently stir in 1-1/2 cups of the whipped topping and the strawberries.

icon_smile.gif

scoobydid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobydid Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 12:58am
post #8 of 16

I too have wondered about the shelf life of these fillings. 1) When you have some leftover from the sleeve, how long can you leave this in the fridge? 2) For the filling that ends up in the cake, how long until the cake goes bad?

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 1:10am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootall

I use jam (eep! Typo and I put HAM! Ugh! What a nasty filling! icon_lol.gif)

Mmm, giant ham biscuit!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 1:13am
post #10 of 16

I use the sleeve fillings and once open they'll keep in the frig. for 6 months.

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 1:21am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

I use frozen peaches/strawberries/blueberries/raspberries, whatever fruit really, and put them in a pot with some sugar, vanilla, cornstrach and other flavorings. Boil until it reaches the consistancy of a thick jelly. It does have to be refridgerated, but the fillings come out so fresh tasting, that I get a TON of compliments.

Make sure that if you get whole fruits that you cut them up into bite size pieces.

HTH

How long does this keep? I made some three weeks ago and kept in fridge, actually wound up not using it. Do you think it's still good?
terri

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 8:14am
post #12 of 16

I use mostly pastry pride and any fresh fruit or canned because it's not sweet at all (it need to be in the fridge) but now that I read FlyGirl08 recipe with cream cheese sounds delicious and I think I'll try it soon icon_smile.gif

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 9:42pm
post #13 of 16

TerriG:

Mine never stays around long enough to go bad!!! My family likes to eat the leftovers on toast, or pancakes, or stuffed into crepes.

Miksadie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miksadie Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:05am
post #14 of 16

Okay, this may be a stupid question but I am a newbie. What is a sleeve??

Thanks,
Mikki

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:08am
post #15 of 16

LOVE most of the Henry and Henry brand fruit fillings.

Jen icon_smile.gif

dee-lite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dee-lite Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:33am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miksadie

Okay, this may be a stupid question but I am a newbie. What is a sleeve??

Thanks,
Mikki

You can buy a big plastic bag of filling that is referred to as a sleeve because of its "sleeve" shape from cake supply places... thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%