Is The "what's The No So Smartest Thing You've Done In

Decorating By Kahuna Updated 8 Aug 2008 , 1:40pm by 7yyrt

LorienSkye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LorienSkye Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 3:14am
post #91 of 113

My turn my turn! This thread is so hilarious. Thanks for starting it. A couple of years ago before I met my husband, I was cooking dinner for the first time at my then boyfriend's house. Of course, I was trying to impress him with my culinary skills and all. As I was getting ready to take dinner out of the oven I asked him where he kept his pot holders and he replied, "Under the microwave." I thought to myself, "That's an odd place to keep potholders" but I dutifully bent over and looked UNDER the microwave.....a.k.a. the small space between the countertop and the bottomside of the microwave. No potholders in sight. It was then that I heard him laughing so hard he couldn't talk as he pointed to the drawer underneath the microwave. Uh........oops. I didn't live that one down for the duration of that relationship. Did I mention I have a master's degree and am a licensed professional counselor by day? Hehehe. Sometimes no amount of book smarts can make up for common sense.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 3:16am
post #92 of 113

welcome back toodlesjupiter!!! Glad you had fun camping!!!

I finished that cake and delivered it on Friday and then on Saturday I got an email about how great it was and how everyone was RAVING about the taste etc... check it on in my pics - the graduation cake.

I just wanted to say "thank you" for kicking me in the nut snack and making me finish my darn cake!

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 3:28am
post #93 of 113

that candle thing reminds me of the time a lady caught her purse handle on fire at my mom's shop. she owns a little floral/gift shop that sells lots of good candles and she usually has one going on the front counter. so this lady put her purse in it and then alluded to having my mom pay for it. now she lights candles behind her counter but sheesh.

DecoratingDingbat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratingDingbat Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 7:48am
post #94 of 113

I packed up mine and my neighbor's kids in the car for school one morning. Everyone belted ... check. Coffee ... check. Purse, keys ... check, check. Start up the car, reverse to back out ... why aren't we moving? Rev it - yes it's winter - but my driveway is flat and there is no ice? .... REV IT!! AND AGAIN!! Still nothing. Here comes my neighbor friend - house coat and slippers, in Canadian winter probably -26 at least - "what's wrong?" ... "Dunno, it just won't budge. Why don't you give me push?" With that she moves - carefully in her slippers - to the front of the car and starts pushing with ALL her might, while I simultaneously REV IT! AND AGAIN!! After a minute or two of this, I stop the car and shake my head at my disheveled - and now shivering neighbor. She shrugs her shoulders and then looks up at my kitchen window, where I notice my husband hanging out laughing hysterically. Rolling down the window, more than a little irritated I say "Just what is so GD funny!" Gathering himself he calmly said "take off the emergency brake."
That story wouldn't be so bad on it's own... except those 4 kids who were in the car are now grown - and refuse to forget the look on my neighbor's face when she heard the brake release. We all just watched her, with her house coat waving away, trying to keep her slippers on and the snow out while she marched back to her house.

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 10:48am
post #95 of 113

I remember when we were kids and having soda was a huge treat. There were 5 kids in our family, so my parents would buy big bottles. My oldest brother kept sneaking in the kitchen, opening a bottle, taking some soda, then putting the cap back on. My mother yell from the next room that he was going to let all the "fizz" out if he kept opening that bottle. My brother - the brain that he is - said, "It's got a lotta fizz! See?!?!?" and shook the bottle like a crazy man. The bottle cap hit the kitchen ceiling. I was standing next to my brother and received a Faygo Red Pop shower. He was right. There was a lot of fizz left in that bottle.

Sweet-Dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-Dreams Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 11:43am
post #96 of 113

When I was younger I had a huge sleepover for my 14th birthday. Around 3 am a group of us decide to make father's day cookies. One friend preheat the oven, another mixed the dry ingredients, etc, while I was in charge of boiling the milk. After a couple minutes there comes this horrible smell from around the stove. My friends all started heckling me about how bad my boiling milk started to smell....until the oven started smoking. icon_confused.gif

I opened up the oven to find the cardboard cakebox containing the rest of my birthday cake completely in flames. Full out flames! When you opened the door the fire would shoot towards you! I run upstairs to my parents room yelling "fire!" (my dad's a firefighter), and they both come stumbling down. icon_surprised.gif Apparently, my mom put the cake box inside the stove (assuming there wouldn't be a kitchen raid at 3 in the morning!) so that neither of my cats would bother it during the night.

Now, my dad said at work they'd just let the fire burn down, contained in the oven, and the homeowners would just have to get a new one, but did I mention that this $1200 one JUST came off the warranty! So my dad, half asleep, grabbed the cakebox using towels and oven mitts and ran toward the front door, chucking it outside. My mom was following with a dish towel putting out the many pieces of burning fire falling off as my dad ran!

Meanwhile, while the house is full of smoke, my "baking" friends and I had the job to get the other girls outside. We ran downstairs yelling "FIRE! C'MON, GET UP! FIRE!", but no one believed us! Half-asleep, they all thought we were playing some type of sleepover joke.

Luckily the oven was fine, but the smoke and smell took days to clear out of the house! Splattered all across the front porch that morning was my smashed cake and charred cardboard box pieces.

I don't think that I'm ever going to live that birthday down. icon_redface.gif

Kahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahuna Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:28pm
post #97 of 113

You all are the best. Had some preschool drama today and this cheered me right up!! One of my first jobs was at Fuddrucker's as the kitchen prep. On of my lofty duties was to change out the nacho cheese sauce in the pumps. It's probabally like 2 gallons of melted hot cheese. Easter Sunday (why anyone would eat there on Easter is beyond me but anyway)I drop the cheese pot and it sprays all over this guy in his Sunday best. You would think comming from church he would be forgiving....yeah no so much. The Mgr. had to pay his drycleaning bill.

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 3:04pm
post #98 of 113

Janel- Thanks! Your cake turned out great! I'm glad you got such good feedback on it(doesn't that feel great?)! I'll be happy to kick you in you nut snack any time!

Kahuna- You worked at Fuddrucker's? That reminds me of when I was younger, my Dad was a preacher, and we were trying to decide where to go after church(with a bunch of the church people), and my Mom goes why don't we go to Rudd*uckers? Everyone started busting up and she turned about 10 shades of red. So now if I mention it, it is always Rudd*uckers to me.

SugarMama602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama602 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 4:29pm
post #99 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourstrulytx

ok so this did'nt happen to me but it's still funny....
my mother has a tendancy to wear alot of mascara and one Thanksgiving she went to check on the turkey , opened the oven and the heat from the oven melted mascara on her eyes and "glued" them shut!
She starting screaming and laughing all at the same time, we had to walk her to the sink and wash the melted mascara off her face before she could open her eyes.
Needless to say she is more careful now when checking the turkey!

Haha, this just happened to me a few weeks ago, only in opposite fashion. My eyelashes flew back like I was a on a rollercoaster and were sticking straight up and down. I looked like someone out of Clockwork Orange. I couldn't stop laughing because I looked like I was in a suspended state of surprise.

Our household disaster was when I had a gumpaste backboard drying in the over for a cake due THAT DAY and my hubbers decided to make a pizza and melt gumpaste to the bottom of our oven and all the racks. Our house filled with smoke and smelled like burnt candy for a good 48 hours.

SugarMama602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama602 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 4:38pm
post #100 of 113

Haha, Sweet-Dreams. Once I decided to try my hand at homemade pesto. Cilantro and macadamia nut pesto.

Well, my recipe from the food network said, "Lay out nuts on shallow baking pan and broil in the oven for a few minutes until they're toasted."

I put them in, got distracted, didn't pay attention to them when I noticed smoke coming from the oven. I opened the oven door and my nuts were on FIRE! (Well, you know what I mean.) I grabbed an oven mitt and ran screaming out into the front yard with this flaming tray of macadamia nuts and dumped them into the rocks to let them burn out. Turns out you shouldn't roast greasy nuts or the oil will catch fire.

Good to know.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 6:20pm
post #101 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarMama602

I opened the oven door and my nuts were on FIRE!

I know what you mean, I do know what you mean, but I can't stop LAUGHING! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 9:25pm
post #102 of 113

wow! some crazy case of flaming nuts!

Kahuna Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 11:05pm
post #103 of 113

Yes I really did work there. Don't get me started on the stories from when they made me bartender. In a nutshell (he he) all the bartenders quit and they were like, well you drink more than anyone else here so we'll make you bartender!! There is a story behind the name, though it escapes me at the moment. Hope it wasn't your preacher that I sprayed 110 degree cheese sauce all over.

janelwaters Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 11:07pm
post #104 of 113

OMG! that is the FUNNIEST reason ever to make someone a bartender!!

Kahuna Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 11:13pm
post #105 of 113

Hey, at least I knew what SOME of the drinks were. Don't get me started on the Mudslides I made for a bunch of biker's during Bike Week. They were VERY happy (too much vodka). I used to call MY bartender and ask her how to mak the crazy ones. Beyond Jack and Coke or Screwdriver I was at a loss. Oh, I even had someone order a glass of Merlot and freaked out because there wasn't any in the fridge!! How far I have come!

janelwaters Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 11:15pm
post #106 of 113

That is histerical! you sound like me! Is there a fuddruckers in Jax?? where is it?

Kahuna Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 11:23pm
post #107 of 113

No I was actually in Orlando at the time. I heard there was one in Tallahassee. the Orlando location eventually got closed down. They had a severe mouse infestation (OMG the stories I could tell) and the owner got in a lot of trouble. There were pegions on the roof that would crap on the awnings, so he put poison up there killed a bunch of piegions and got busted by the game warden or something, it was a long time ago. I have acutally tried to block it out icon_biggrin.gif O.K. DD beckons, I'll check back soon!!

Sue

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:44am
post #108 of 113

just to go along with the nut humor...
My MIL came over from Poland about 36 years ago to the US but she still mixes a LOT up in the English language.
We were over at her house for a dinner with other relatives and she came out and sat down a beautiful dish of Hungarian Nut Cookies. She then proceeds to say "Come and try a big and tasty Hungarian Horse Nut."

We all just looked at each other and busted up laughing.
She got mad and said "There is nothing wrong with these Horse Nuts try them they are so good."
More laughter
She gets real mad then until we explain to her.

She's done that every single time she has ever made them since.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:48am
post #109 of 113

just to go along with the nut humor...
My MIL came over from Poland about 36 years ago to the US but she still mixes a LOT up in the English language.
We were over at her house for a dinner with other relatives and she came out and sat down a beautiful dish of Hungarian Nut Cookies. She then proceeds to say "Come and try a big and tasty Hungarian Horse Nut."

We all just looked at each other and busted up laughing.
She got mad and said "There is nothing wrong with these Horse Nuts try them they are so good."
More laughter
She gets real mad then until we explain to her.

She's done that every single time she has ever made them since.

toodlesjupiter Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 1:57am
post #110 of 113

Kahuna-
No... it wasn't my preacher you spilled the cheese on. My dad stopped being a preacher when I was still a kid, and I don't do church at all anymore, so...

AAnny-waay... maybe we should try some horse nuts with cheese sauce??? and some mudslides at rudd*uckers!!!! icon_wink.gif

ebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebear Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 11:14am
post #111 of 113

That "horse nut" thing had me laughing hysterically!

Horse nuts...YUMMY.... icon_confused.gif lol

toodlesjupiter Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:10pm
post #112 of 113

Man... I saw the True North nut commercial last night, and they changed it here too. Bummer!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%