Is The "what's The No So Smartest Thing You've Done In

Decorating By Kahuna Updated 8 Aug 2008 , 1:40pm by 7yyrt

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 2:22am
post #61 of 113

I was trying to multi-task by fixing myself some lunch while I was on the phone one day. I decided to put a soft shell taco in the microwave for 30 seconds, but because I was so involved in my conversation I set the timer for 30 minutes. I walked out of the kitchen and heard the smoke alarm go off a few minutes later. Did you know that a taco will burst into flames in less than 5 minutes? Actual flames involved here. The kitchen was full of smoke.

The inside of the microwave had scorch marks, and stunk to high heavens whenever we tried to use it. We couldn't get rid of the smell, so we ended up buying a new microwave a few days later.

DEBBIE157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEBBIE157 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 2:29am
post #62 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna

Hosting my first Thanksgiving going totally Martha
Sue

I like that one "TOTALLY MARTHA"

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Debbie

DEBBIE157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEBBIE157 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 2:31am
post #63 of 113

"fun facts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocmom

Did you know that a taco will burst into flames in less than 5 minutes? .

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Now that is funny

Debbie

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 2:35am
post #64 of 113

Let's see....which one??? I have many. Once, I set leftover melted candle wax in a pot. Put it on low on my stove's burner. My son (he's 18, no excuse, he's not 3)...came behind me and turned it up higher. Next thing I know he's yelling at me to get in the kitchen. I go in, flames are shooting up, towards the ceiling. I yell for my BF, (the Firefighter, Yeah right), can't find the fire extinguisher, can't find the salt, can't find a lid to smother it with. I pray. Ok, that kinda works. The flame goes out, but it's still smoking, so to cool it down, I add water to it. Don't do IT GIRLS!!! Flames instantly restarted, shot up, melted all my curtains, and absolutely scorched the ceiling. This only took less than 2 min. I'm busy painting now.....

maisyone2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisyone2 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 2:39am
post #65 of 113

My DH, DS and myself have a bit of a giggle when the "nut snack" commercial comes on.....BUT....it came on today and it has been EDITED! DH and I couldn't believe it and had a little laugh. They no longer say Nut Snack...they just say Snack at the end.... icon_confused.gif

I guess some people's panties got into a bit of a twist.........LOL icon_surprised.gif

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 2:57am
post #66 of 113

I'm laughing so hard I can hardly read!!

My husband call me 'da bomb' because thats what it looks like when I'm 'caking' in the kitchen.

My story is the hard choices you have to make ...for years I made home made carmel rolls every christmas, if you try to put too many in a pan and don't give them room to raise...the carmel will bake up out of the bottom of the pan and start lovely fires in the bottom of the oven. So the choice is....let it burn and start opening windows, because the carmel rolls aren't done yet and you hate to risk that....or pull them out, get the fire out and hope they go back in ok and finish cooking. I am now quite skilled at smelling the smoke, whip open the oven door, throw in the baking soda at the bottom, close it up and let them finish cooking. icon_biggrin.gif lol

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:44am
post #67 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

I was cooking dried beans for the first time. I didn't know they sucked up all the water and swelled. Well, I was using the pressure cooker. All the water cooked out of it. The lid blew off(good thing no one was in the kitchen). Embedded beans into the ceiling.

now thats funny lol.. i can just envision that too lol

ok ladies.. say it with me now.. get ready........

Here's yer sign!!

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 4:13am
post #68 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisyone2

My DH, DS and myself have a bit of a giggle when the "nut snack" commercial comes on.....BUT....it came on today and it has been EDITED! DH and I couldn't believe it and had a little laugh. They no longer say Nut Snack...they just say Snack at the end.... icon_confused.gif

I've been giggling over that commercial since I first saw this thread - and, like you, I saw it tonight (during Iron Chef America!) and you're right, no more Nut Snack! icon_cry.gif

*chants* Bring back the Nut Snack!!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 5:00am
post #69 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenGen

Quote:

I was cooking dried beans for the first time. I didn't know they sucked up all the water and swelled. Well, I was using the pressure cooker. All the water cooked out of it. The lid blew off(good thing no one was in the kitchen). Embedded beans into the ceiling.

now thats funny lol.. i can just envision that too lol

ok ladies.. say it with me now.. get ready........

Here's yer sign!!

I reckon I deserve a sign for that one.

JenInAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenInAZ Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 5:30am
post #70 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourstrulytx

Don't worry I have a dirty mind too, this commercial cracks me up!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_BwppFfgeU&feature=related

That one makes DH giggle like a little girl... I notice in the last few days they've taken out the nut and just say snack now. LOL

ETA: ok, I was too impatient to finish the thread before replying and see y'all have beat me to the punch. ...I wonder how many times the announcer guy screwed up saying nut snack... icon_wink.gif

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:12am
post #71 of 113

Okay . . . it gets worse. I was making instant oatmeal one morning, and decided to heat the water in the lovely teapot sitting on my stove. I'd set the microvwave on fire a few days prior (see previous post), so that was out of the question. I was getting ready to go to work, so I was in and out of the kitchen waiting for that darned teapot to whistle. The teapot had been pretty much decorative up until this point because we don't drink tea, but I remember putting water in it at some point after I bought it. I finally decided to investigate, and took the pot off the stove. It felt awful light, so I opened the lid to see how much water was in the pot. My hand got blasted with steam. I tossed the teapot into the sink and started running cold water on my hand - which was bright red and blowing up like a balloon.

My husband saw how bad my hand was and rushed me to the ER, where they had to cut my rings off my hand. This smart-a$$ doctor told me to remember this rhyme: "Steam is hotter than boiling water." No kidding? I did NOT know that.

I was late for work, and walked in with what looked like a big white mitten on my hand. They'd rolled my entire right hand in gauze because the whole back of my hand was burned. I'm right-handed, so I couldn't write for days - typing was fun too.

I think the worst part was explaining to people that I did this much damage making instant oatmeal. They'd look at me with such pity.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:56am
post #72 of 113

I needed to use three burners on my stovetop, so I had all four burner covers stacked up on the rear left burner. I turned on the wrong burner and singed all 4 at the same time. Oh well, you have to buy them in sets of four anyway, right??

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 12:20pm
post #73 of 113
Quote:

I spit my coffee out when I read this icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 12:27pm
post #74 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

I am the world biggest klutz with the worlds worst luck. In my family I am know as the appliance killer.

One morning I was at my mom and dads for breakfast. I was in the kitchen helping my mom cook, and the biscuits were cooked, but they werent brown. SO my mom turned up the over to like 500 so they would get brown. A few minutes later she asked me to check on them, so I grabbed a dishtowel (no pot holders) and proceeded to remove the biscuits from the oven, unaware that the dish towel had touched the hot coil and had caught on fire.

As soon as I felt the burning towel on my arm I dropped it onto the floor right in front of the refridgerator which sucked it right up underneath. The dust immediately caught fire, with a loud WHOOSH! I screamed for help, and we finally got the fire out, but the fridge was toast along with the wall behind it.

Since then, I have also set a dryer, a dishwasher, a toaster, and my washing machine full of water mind you, on fire. If I wasnt such a good cook, my mom wouldnt let me in her kitchen anymore.

OMG! That's something you would see in a movie! icon_lol.gificon_surprised.gif

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 2:35pm
post #75 of 113

I'm back from camping with my hubby....had a nice relaxing weekend. Came home and saw this:

Quote:

More nut humor!

Oh, my gosh! Hilarious!
"Bust a nut, bust a nut... enjoy yourself... we won't tell!"
Tee-Hee!!!

toodlesjupiter Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 2:38pm
post #76 of 113

Oh, and I agree with PiccoloChellie:

*chanting*
BRING BACK THE NUT SNACK!
BRING BACK YHE NUT SNACK!!
BRING BACK THE NUT SNACK!!!

Come on girls!

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:32pm
post #77 of 113

this doesn't have to do with food,but i think it was funny, NOW! my son who was about 4 yrs old at the time loved to do things on his own.he was in the kitchen pouring juice into a cup and of course spilled it all over the floor.me, frustrated bc i have to clean up another mess,said no no,this is how you do it... i set the cup on his little table and started to pour,and the juice went all over the table and floor.my sweet baby looked at me with a very serious face and said "ohhh...thats how you do it mommy?" could have died of embarrasment!!!

toodlesjupiter Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:46pm
post #78 of 113

Awww Bren28-
That's a cute one!

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:56pm
post #79 of 113

my best friend's mom always cooks her thanksgiving in a way too small pan. so she was pulling it out to baste it and some turkey juice splashed up into her hair and a tiny blue hairspray flame ignited on her head. so she standing there holding a turkey while her daughters beat her over the head with dish towels trying to put out the hair fire!

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 6:51pm
post #80 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4starcakes

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0bUxi_Eo6fU

Check this one out!

*laughing SO HARD* I had JUST finished watching this when I looked up at my TV, and it started on there! No "nut snack" at the end, too!

toodlesjupiter Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 7:36pm
post #81 of 113

Here's a cute nut sack-
LL

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 9:31pm
post #82 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

Did you know that if you place cold plates from the cabinet on a burner that's been on medium for the past hour, the plate explodes?

My dad learned this the hard way!!

He had just got done frying chicken fried steak for dinner, had the steaks in a glass dish on a burner for some ungodly reason. The table was ready, forks knives, mash potatos, corn on the cob, rolls, etc. Last thing to go on the table...the steaks. The sits them down and BOOM! The dish shatters sending glass 360 degrees around our kitchen, the dinner has to be completely thrown away and we ate cereal for dinner instead. Big bummer. We still cant believe no one was hurt, as my brother (1icon_cool.gif is usually on his second helping by the time the rest of us get to the table.

Though this still doesnt top the time my dad was sweeping the living room (tile throughout our house) in the winter and threw the contents of the dustpan in the fireplace, which had a fire going in it. 2 seconds later theres a shot, a stray 22 bullet was swept up and he has tossed it into the fire. It went off and once again its a wonder no one was hurt....

Its a war zone at my house lol! icon_smile.gif

Alicia

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 1:24am
post #83 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodlesjupiter

*chanting*

Until we have the Nut Snack back, we all need to watch out for Robert Goulet. icon_confused.gif

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:01am
post #84 of 113

I'm so glad I stumbled in to this thread!!! I needed a good giggle after a long cake weekend....
So I must share that you should never and I repeat never have a candle on counter during a busy cake day....you know it might be ok if you dont back into it and catch your pony tail on fire!!!
This happened to me about a year ago....I think people are still wondering what prompted me to cut off all that beautiful long flowing hair.....hmmmm it is just now getting back to length it was!!!

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:04am
post #85 of 113

Malakin

I have a story like yours that happened to my uncle. My uncle and my cousin were up from Florida. It was fall and my cousin wanted to take some leaves home with him to show his classmates. My mom had gotten wax so that we could wax the leaves. Well my uncle fell asleep and my cousin decided to do it himself he was 8 years old. Well my uncle wakes up to smelling something burning my cousin forgot about the hot wax on the stove top melting and it started on fire. My uncle wakes up runs in the kitchen and tries to blow out the flames. Well I am sure you can figure out what happened. wax went everywhere. I dont think he had a piece of hair left for eye brows. Singed his hai and mustache! Its funny now but it could have been alot worse. Needless to say my cousin doesnt come to NY in the fall anymore.

cakemom1997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom1997 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:16am
post #86 of 113

Here's another Pyrex story. Dh was helping me wash dishes one day(rare occasion). The Pyrex pot had something baked and stuck in it so he decides it would be a good idea instead of just soaking it to put water in it and boil it on the gas stove to lossen it up. Then he adds clorox to it = explosion. Glass everywhere.

toodlesjupiter Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:26am
post #87 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiccoloChellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodlesjupiter

*chanting*

Until we have the Nut Snack back, we all need to watch out for Robert Goulet. icon_confused.gif

Ooohhh NUTS! I forgot about that one! Robert Goulet is scary! Now we really need our nut snack back!

dee-lite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dee-lite Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:34am
post #88 of 113
Quote:

ok so this did'nt happen to me but it's still funny....
my mother has a tendancy to wear alot of mascara and one Thanksgiving she went to check on the turkey , opened the oven and the heat from the oven melted mascara on her eyes and "glued" them shut!
She starting screaming and laughing all at the same time, we had to walk her to the sink and wash the melted mascara off her face before she could open her eyes.
Needless to say she is more careful now when checking the turkey!

OMG I am laughing so hard I am crying and it is even funnier 'cuz this ha snearly happened to me a few times..My whole family is dyng laughing icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Sweettooth1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweettooth1120 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:45am
post #89 of 113

Didnt happen to me but we tease my mom all the time about this one. She was making a taco salad for lunch and opened up a can of chili for the salad. As she did so her dog (named Snickers) barks and she realizes she had not yet fed the dog. So she stops her salad and opens a can of Alpo dog food. The telephone rang and she goes to get it, comes back to the kitchen and in mid chat proceeds to pour the chili in the dog dish and the Alpo on her salad. Luckily she realized it just as she brought a heaping spoonful towards her mouth.

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 3:13am
post #90 of 113

I literally have tears running down my face as I type this. Love it!!!

Here's a brilliant one for ya: I forgot to put the EGGS in my cake. I didn't realize it until it had been in the oven for about 15 minutes...well, it didn't turn out to be cake.

My grandmother has some doozies, too. She sat her pyrex full of country fried steak on a burner that had been left on. The entire meal was embedded with glass and the kitchen covered with steak and gravy.

There must be something about steak and gravy because she blew up the pressure cooker full of..steak and gravy. When they say "pressure", they mean "pressure". It went straight up to the ceiling, as well as everywhere else.

One Christmas Eve we were all in the kitchen fixing dinner at Grandmother's house. My grandmother had lit candles on the mantle earlier that day. The mantle really looked beautiful. She had woven garland in between the candles and bric a brac. We all started smelling something burning and checked the oven. Everything was fine. We continued cooking and talking and the smell got worse. I walked into the living room, which, by now was full of smoke and started yelling for help. The mantle was on fire! One of the candles had burned down too low and caught the garland on fire!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%