How Did You Get Started In This Business?

Business By TripleAcakes Updated 1 Aug 2008 , 6:55pm by RoseCitySugarcraft

TripleAcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TripleAcakes Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 6

I am new to this forum and firly new to the cake decorating thing. I have loved to make cakes and decorate them for quite sometime. I have finally decided to take some classes (probably at michaels) to learn more. I know I am fresh but I have big hopes for this venture.

how did some of you get started? Where did you take classes? what do love about this business? Any dislikes?

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:11am
post #2 of 6

Welcome to Cake Central. There is a ton of information posted in these threads.

Wilton is an excellent start for lessons. Then, there are many decorators who offer specialty classes, as well as books and videos to learn new techniques.

As for a business, you need to find out if it is legal in your state to sell home baked goods. In many states it is not legal, you must work from a licensed commercial kitchen.

cakebaker111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker111 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 6

Hi and welcome to cake central. How I got started is funny, I was in college working on an engineering degree and needed a few credits hours and decided to take a baking class with my neighbors help (she convince me) i'm the neighbor in the block that everyone depends on. Because i'm always home and can look out for my neighbors while the are at work. With that being said, I took the class. From there, every time i baked something it had to be presented to the dean of the culinary dept. So i made sure it was always pleasing to the eye. Well, i really got notice, from the dean and the pastry chef. The pastry chef then started me in decorating cakes and competing for the state. It was so exciting that i postponed my engineering graduation and did the intire culinary program and graduated in both areas. Now thinking about going back for art because i did enjoy it while presuing my degrees and it does play a big part in decorating cakes. I wish I had discovered decorating years earlier in life. I love it. It's all i think about. Can't sleep sometimes because i'm so excited about the cakes i have to do next.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 6

I became interested in cake decorating because I wanted to make something special for my twins on their birthday. Then I got hooked after taking a decorating class from a lady in town. I then inherited a lot of her decorating stuff when she quit baking & decorating to devote all her time to manufacturing her icing (a free cake projector!). Found CC and discovered a whole new world in decorated sugar cookies. Love it all!

Cakenator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenator Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 6

I was born into this business.

The thing I love most about cake decorating is how relaxing it is for me.

The thing I hate the most about the BUSINESS side of cake decorating is how rude people can be. It can be hard to work so hard on a cake and either get no reaction out of the customer or to watch them pick it apart in front of you.

This business is also a ton of hard work, if my heart wasn't in this 125% I would of found a new profession a long long time ago.

Good luck with your classes and have fun!

RoseCitySugarcraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 6

Welcome to CC, TripleA icon_smile.gif

My start was in childhood. I grew up with both grandmothers who baked. I was always right there with them to help! I got started in cake decorating though in my early teens. I had a piano teacher with several kids. Every time I went for lessons, it seemed she was, or had just been in the kitchen baking/decorating a cake for one of her kids, or one in the neighborhood. I thought it looked like fun (playing with food, sugar specifically...what's NOT to like???), so I started helping her. I picked up the basics very quickly, having a blast! Soon, however, I was wanting to do things for my family. I'd borrow my teacher's pans, etc. I was doing cakes ALL the time! It got to be so often that I was borrowing supplies, that I needed to buy my own. It's snowballed from there. After 20 years of "dabbling", I went to cooking school, basically LIVING for the two pastry classes! Now I work to save money, so someday SOON I can open my own boutique cake shop. That's my dream and my passion!

Here's wishing you happiness in your decorating!

~ Scott

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%