Her Colors Will Clash I Think

Decorating By Metabea Updated 1 Aug 2008 , 4:33pm by Metabea

Metabea Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 15

I'm attaching a picture of a cake I'm going to be making for my best friends wedding. They are getting married on their horses with my hubby and I leading them to the "alter". After wards they will be at our house for the reception. I have a ton to do before this wedding. She comes over today with a rose for me to show me the color she wants Yellow... canary yellow and ivory. But she wants pink & white on the cake. She'll have a spray of flowers to cover the table where the cakes will be put. My question is... will pink and white go with her canary yellow and ivory? I told her I could do a butter yellow and ivory to better match her color scheme but she really likes this cake and wants the pink. I know it's her day and if she wants pink I should give it to her. What do you think? Image

14 replies
ThreeDGirlie Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 15

Is there a way you can work a little bit of yellow into the flowers on the cake? Just tiny yellow flowers on the garland every third or fourth flower would help tie in the yellow...

My dress, table linens etc were all ivory, and I'm sure the cake was white, but nobody noticed that it didn't "match". But they probably would have noticed if the flowers on it (fresh) were blue since my colors were wine and hot pink. icon_wink.gif

The good thing is that pink and yellow do go well together.

jibbies Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 15

I'm not so much worried about the colors as I am the cake stand. Is that the one you are using? Have you used it before? It is one of the most unstable things I have ever come across. I've only ever used it once and I won't use it again, I'll admit it makes a pretty presentation but its like balancing plates on dowel rods.
Here's the cake I did with it.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1171300.html

Jibbies

Metabea Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 15

I'm using this one

I've never used it either we bought it special for this day.

jammjenks Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 10:03pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbies

I'm not so much worried about the colors as I am the cake stand. Is that the one you are using? Have you used it before? It is one of the most unstable things I have ever come across. I've only ever used it once and I won't use it again, I'll admit it makes a pretty presentation but its like balancing plates on dowel rods.
Here's the cake I did with it.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1171300.html

Jibbies

I agree about this stand. You would be better to use something else. I haven't used it, but I bought it without realizing that it was made of plastic and styrofoam. I was too scared to use it so I returned it and bought this one:

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=40209802-423B-522D-F9543F9095A6ECED&fid=FF352DA4-423B-522D-F43BE252C94A5414

varika Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 10:13pm
post #6 of 15

You could ask her if it's just the pink she wants, and do ivory instead of white under the pink. But if she's dead set on white and pink, yeah, just bring in some touches of yellow here and there. Maybe add just the tiniest touch of yellow when you mix your pink--like, the very tip of a toothpick. It'll still be pink, but it'll make it a little bit warmer a pink that will compliment yellow very well. If you're worried about mixing the colors wrong, you could even just dust the flowers with a bit of gold or yellow luster dust, very lightly.

Metabea Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 10:30pm
post #7 of 15

Thats the stand we bought... how do you like it? I hope it holds up well, not that there will be any children at the reception our youngest (14) is the only one. But I'm not against grabbing a child by the scruff of the shirt and hauling them away from a cake... mine or not.

Do you think doing the Roses with Pink but a shade of yellow on the tips would look ok? Add some yellow drop flowers with pink dots and add yellow dots to the pink ones? Just don't want this cake to end up hideous. Canary yellow lilies...I get to see them tomorrow when she drags me from store to store. Now where did I put my walking shoes!

indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 11:10pm
post #8 of 15

I don't think her colors will clash at all. I'll bet you will be surprised at how nice it looks.

dawncr Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 11:53pm
post #9 of 15

Darn double.

dawncr Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 11:56pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I don't think her colors will clash at all. I'll bet you will be surprised at how nice it looks.

Oh, yeah. I really love the current trend of combining 2 or 3 or 4 colors for weddings. For my taste, it's much better than the matchy-matchy one-color plus white, of which I was guilty when I was married 25 years ago. I even remember being so very careful to match the *exact* color of navy blue of the tuxes and dresses---Searched forever for the right hue fabric.

This is an amazing website that puts together lots of great color combos. Here is what came up when I searched for yellow & pink.

http://snippetandink.blogspot.com/search?q=yellow+pink

jibbies Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:14am
post #11 of 15

I'm so glad you are using a different stand icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Jibbies

mom2leelee Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:18am
post #12 of 15

What about doing some of the roses in yellow tipped w/ pink? I have saw fresh roses that color and they are beautiful!

BTW: the stand pictured is the one I used in my wedding and it did a great job, but I had cupcakes on it not cake.

cassi_g16 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:02am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2leelee

What about doing some of the roses in yellow tipped w/ pink? I have saw fresh roses that color and they are beautiful!

I agree those roses are probably my favorite....for roses. I think the pink and yellow will go well together. I would be more concerned about the white and ivory together. Although I have seen the combo together...devoid of all other color though.

aswartzw Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:23pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I agree. White and ivory is now a very popular color combination. They are making wedding dresses in this color combo.

Plus yellow and pink go great together. I think it'll be smashing.

Metabea Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:33pm
post #15 of 15

I got to see a picture of the flowers today... it's a lighter yellow then canary (she must have had her sunglasses on when she saw it to explain to me) There for a soft yellow and pink will go good together. Gosh I wish I had taken that gumpaste class now so I could make her lily's on the cake to match the ones in her arrangement. So off to find a dress to wear at the reception.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%