County Fair Entry

Decorating By charman Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 2:08pm by 4thtimemom

charman Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 6

I am considering entering a cake in our local county fair...does anyone have any pointers for me? I have a call out to the person in charge due to the fact their information is pretty vague.

What are you allowed to do or not do?
Do they actually eat the cake, or can it be cake dummies?
How big are you allowed?

Yeah, lots of questions...any suggestions/help/advise, etc????
Thanks! cowboy.gif

5 replies
dragonflydreams Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 6

. . . definitely find out the "rules" for your particular fair . . .

. . . while I have never competed . . . I can only guess that the list that CC's Critique Subgroup uses for guidelines would be something most judges would be looking for . . .

1.) Creativity (original design or clever adaptation of another idea) is interesting and pleasing. What might work better.

2.) Clean not cluttered or overdone, neat and skillful.

3.) Suitable degree of difficulty for skill level. Are you pushing yourself.

4.) Proper use of tips i.e. control, pressure and technique.

5.) Color choice and use, mixed well without streaking, compliments the design.

6.) Smooth coat without crumbs.

7.) Attention to details.

8.) Attention to cake board.

9.) Overall appearance.

. . . GOOD LUCK . . . and have fun . . . l hope some of our "competitors" will step up to the plate and answer your question too . .

JenWhitlock Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 6

you will have to find out the rules for your fair.
Last year I particpated in a county fair and there was almost no rules and it wasn't very clear but it was a dummy cake
This year I'm entering the state fair and there are a list of rules on size and type (these are dummy cakes too)

I'm glad I did the fair but I have heard and read that the judging at county fairs can be bizaar and unfair. The cake that won last year competition deserved to win but the reason given was weird. And I just heard that this year the judging was even more weird.

So enter and have fun!!! But don't expect to much

charman Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:16am
post #4 of 6

Well, I have since talk to the chair of that particular category...guessing not an area that gets a lot of entries...I asked about dummy cakes...she said, hmmm...never had that asked before, but I would say stick with a cake...that's fine. You can only do a 2 layer or 3 layer cake...no stacked tiers...the cake is not eatten so taste doesn't factor in. Judged mostly on looks. So I was thinking of doing some RI flowers, but worried that those attached to BC will not hold up for the whole week...will be fine for judging purposes, but on display the rest of the week...do think they would hold?

Does anyone have any ideas of what I should enter design wise...feel free to look at my work, and give me suggestions...especially those of you that have entered before.
Thanks!

kakeladi Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:48am
post #5 of 6

After looking over your pix I think the king tut or Cleopatra cakes are good choices. OR the frog oneicon_smile.gif Just do you **very!** best work and don't worry about winning. Yes, they are judged in many different waysicon_sad.gif Once at my county fair the judges were the editors of a couple of local newspaper's women's page who knew *nothing!* about cake decorating icon_sad.gif

My 1st choice would be Aprils wedding or the other one 5 tiers done in green but you said it cannot be tieredicon_sad.gif

4thtimemom Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 2:08pm
post #6 of 6

Hi!
I am BRAND new here! A friend of mine from another forum just told me about this site & I am ever so excited! This is awesome! Anyhow...I have entered baked goods in the NYS fair before, but this year will be my first cake entry. I am excited about it BUT I am having a hard time coming up with ideas because it is themed. The theme is THE WONDERS OF NEW YORK STATE. I have been searching on the internet hoping ideas pop in my head, but now that I found you all, I figure I'll ask if any ideas pop in your heads too. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%