I Will Never Never Ever Do This Again... Long Vent!

Decorating By kmoores Updated 8 Aug 2008 , 2:20am by MamaBerry

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:28pm
post #61 of 81

First off your cake is amazingly BEAUTIFUL!!! I had a similar experience years ago, I had a friend of a friend call me, and explain her financial hardships, blah blah blah...well I felt bad for her, gave her a HUGE discount...3 tier carrot cake, gumpaste flowers, ribbon for 60 people for $150.00 I know I was CRAZY...but feel like you never know when you may need someones help. I didn't ask her for any money up front, told her to pay at pick-up. So she gives me a check that bounces twice and a week later after threatening her, she finally paid me. That is when I updated my policies ASAP!!! I now get FULL payment a week before the wedding NO QUESTIONS!!! If for some reason it would be less than a week, like in your case...Money is due right then, no money no cake simple as that! I tell them very upfront...if you do not plan on paying me before the event, do not expect a cake to be sitting there at the event! I know sounds harsh...but I have had people even call me the morning of the event, and cancel, and here is a cake all done sitting ready to go. People are such A**holes I tell you!! When you deal with the public...gotta get some pains!!! Keep at her even if you have to threaten her with a lawsuit, have a friend call her posing as a lawyer and see how quick she gets you the money! Best of luck to you, like others said it was a learning experience, unfortunatley you had to go through it!

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:29pm
post #62 of 81

First off your cake is amazingly BEAUTIFUL!!! I had a similar experience years ago, I had a friend of a friend call me, and explain her financial hardships, blah blah blah...well I felt bad for her, gave her a HUGE discount...3 tier carrot cake, gumpaste flowers, ribbon for 60 people for $150.00 I know I was CRAZY...but feel like you never know when you may need someones help. I didn't ask her for any money up front, told her to pay at pick-up. So she gives me a check that bounces twice and a week later after threatening her, she finally paid me. That is when I updated my policies ASAP!!! I now get FULL payment a week before the wedding NO QUESTIONS!!! If for some reason it would be less than a week, like in your case...Money is due right then, no money no cake simple as that! I tell them very upfront...if you do not plan on paying me before the event, do not expect a cake to be sitting there at the event! I know sounds harsh...but I have had people even call me the morning of the event, and cancel, and here is a cake all done sitting ready to go. People are such A**holes I tell you!! When you deal with the public...gotta get some pains!!! Keep at her even if you have to threaten her with a lawsuit, have a friend call her posing as a lawyer and see how quick she gets you the money! Best of luck to you, like others said it was a learning experience, unfortunatley you had to go through it!

tnt320to Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnt320to Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:56pm
post #63 of 81

Your cake is beautiful. I'm so sorry this happened to you. I have a strict no money, no cake policy. I have waited until the day of delivery before when I was first starting out. But, trust me, if you threaten to leave them with no cake, someone there will find their checkbook.

kmoores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmoores Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 7:43pm
post #64 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeptBabyMom

Hi Krista,

Oh that really sucks... you go out on a limb and work hard for someone and that's the thanks you get. That cake was beautiful and I hope she owns up to her end of the bargain, who knows... perhaps it's just the MIL being a turd. icon_smile.gif

Also... what part of Newfoundland are you from? I'm a fellow Newfie and live in Paradise. Nice to see another one here on the board.

Jolene

I'm in Labrador City. I used to live in CBS for years, but hubby got a job here at home so we came back.

Again Everyone Thanks for the words of support. But guess what?? The MIL paid up today at noon and was very sorry for her actions. They even paid me an extra $60!! Maybe to shut me up - but who cares right?

The moral of this story is NO CASH - NO CAKE I've definitely learned my lesson and will be very strict on my cakes from now on.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 7:51pm
post #65 of 81

WOW! Congratulations! I am soo happy for you getting paid! sounds like they were just procrastinators and felt badly about it...but, lesson learned icon_smile.gif

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 7:53pm
post #66 of 81

But YOUR money is in YOUR bank now. Glad this lesson didn't hit you in the pocketbook. Congrats on surviving a near disaster... OK, not disaster, but a real PITA. icon_smile.gif

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 7:56pm
post #67 of 81

If she paid you by check go to the bank right now and cash it. Go to her bank!

RUN KMOORES RUN!!!!!!!!

Lu

Atomikjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Atomikjen Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 8:18pm
post #68 of 81

I'm so glad you got paid! I doubt I could have waited until monday to hear one way or the other. icon_biggrin.gif

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 10:07pm
post #69 of 81

well done - glad the story turned out so well. lesson learned AND payment!!! best of both worlds!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 1:40am
post #70 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by lu9129

If she paid you by check go to the bank right now and cash it. Go to her bank!

RUN KMOORES RUN!!!!!!!!

Lu

LOL Lu!

So glad everything worked out for you! You created a very beautiful cake for her in such a small time frame and I think the tip was well deserved! Great job! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:18am
post #71 of 81

Hooray! This has been on my mind- I've been pulling for you!

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:24am
post #72 of 81

Me too! I've been thinking about you and that gorgeous cake hoping you'd get paid without the hassle of small claims court.

Yay!!!!! party.gif

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:37am
post #73 of 81

The MILaw's hubby probably got wind of how awful she treated you and gave her a good kick in the rear!! Hooray!!

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 10:25am
post #74 of 81
Quote:
Quote:

Eh - that's debatable. If I signed a contract with someone thinking they had a legal licensed business and it turns out they aren't, it may or may not be an enforceable contract. You can have an agreement with a bookie, but if you win, you can't sue to collect the amount if he refuses to pay, since it was an illegal transaction in the first place. It isn't quite as simple as what you stated earlier.

Your trying to equate apple with oranges here....don't confuse gambling with a simple agreement for services rendered. That is a legal and binding contract in any state if the two parties agree in writing, licensed or not. It would apply to someone who was a good friend just as much as a stranger you agreed to do a service for. Especially if you have incurred expenses on that persons behalf.

I had that job for nearly 5 years and handled hundreds of cases, and dealt with quite a few states across the country. Not to mention nearly every crooked debt collection company where ever they crawl out of....

If nothing else, she can send them a "Demand for Payment", and perhaps that will scare them into coming forward and paying her what they know they owe her. Afterall, no one likes to have to stand in front of a Judge and tell him/her why they are being a jerk....right? icon_wink.gif

Let's not confuse the poor girl here and just let her at least try and get back the money that she's owed. One way or the other. That's fair...and thanks for correcting my spelling too....I was way too tired to think when I was doing that post!! LOL

Cake on the brain....LOL

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 11:59pm
post #75 of 81

I'm so happy you got paid! I left out in my previous post that your cake was absolutely gorgeous!!! I could never do something like that on such short notice!

I have to ask though - did they pay by cash (I hope)???

ashcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashcake Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 4:28pm
post #76 of 81

Glad you got your money and then some!

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 10:14pm
post #77 of 81

definately do not make cake without payment!!! I only take a $50 booking deposit but all my cakes are to be paid in FULL two weeks prior to delivery or your cake is cancelled (NO EXCEPTIONS!!) I once had a couple who when i emailed to say full payment was due thay said oh we will get it to you next week or the week after (I was one day late in sending this email so the week after next was one day after the wedding!!) alarm bells started to ring and i scoured through my emails and grabeed the one that stated the terms under which they booked and politley pointed out that they agreed to full payment 2 weeks prior and while i could wait 2 or 3 days if they needed time i could not wait longer than that due to ordering things blah blah blah i kid you not i revieved full payment in 35 seconds of pressing send on the email! (electronic transfer!) so they did not need more time at all they just didn't ant to pay!! they loved their cake (cow wedding cake in mu pics) and have recomended me to everyone. i am glad i trusted my gut and stood my ground in this as it oaid off - people generally are only interested in what they can getnot doing the right thing so install a pay before you bake policy (or at least a high enough perecntage that you are not out of pocket) and get contracts that state when payments are due and how much and then finally don't do it if they haven't paid - if you went to buy a new car do you think they would let you take it home and pay next week??? not a chance

TheCakeGirl87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeGirl87 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 3:54pm
post #78 of 81

The cake is stunning! Sorry for all of your trouble!

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:52pm
post #79 of 81

You cake was beautiful! So happy that you got paid!
Had a bride who hadn't remitted final payment by the specified date. Called up the bride and MOB, both of whom were on the contract and basically told them both, no cash, no cake!
Had the cash in my hand before the end of the day was out.
I don't even go to the store for supplies until the money is in my hand. Learned that lesson to the tune of $100 years ago. Glad you got your money! I'd rather have the money than a lesson learned, anyday!

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:56pm
post #80 of 81

Thanks for letting us know how it turned out.

Yes, this is a very good lesson for all of us softies out there.

MamaBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBerry Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:20am
post #81 of 81

My Beloved just came home with another sob story of how many of the schools he teaches at afterschool do not pay him until 3+months when the classes are over. They are to pay him for supplies at the start of the 8 week program and on the last day. They've (over 12 schools) done this to him for several yrs now and I told him to stop complaining to me.

I told my husband that he deserves what he's getting and this is his lesson. I told him that he could keep being stubborn but whose fault is it when he doesn't stand his ground and cancel the class for lack of payment by the 2nd week of class?

I used this story from the OP to drive home my point. I hope y'all don't mind that I left out the "you got paid" part. I think he needs to not have the upside of the story just yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%