14" Cake Question Please Help

Decorating By titch Updated 1 Aug 2008 , 7:38pm by titch

titch Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making my first wedding cake next week and I've been asked to make a 14'' lemon cake, I already have a lemon cake recipe that I use but it's only good for an 9''. icon_cry.gif

I was wondering if I could just double the recipe for the 14''? If not how do I go about adjusting my recipes to fit larger cake pans?

5 replies
jammjenks Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 6

Most recipes can be doubled, but some cannot. If you can't, just make two batches of it.

mamacc Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 6

Yes, just double it and then if you have extra batter bake a couple small ones to eat or freeze.

titch Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 6

Thanx ladies, that's good to hear, I'm going to bake the cake on Tuesday so if it doesnt come out right, I'll have plenty of time before it's due Friday afternoon, to get it right!

Toptier Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 6

You may want to consider using a baking core or 3 greased and floured flower nails towards the center of the cake to ensure even baking of such a big cake. Also - use baking strips if you have access to these in the UK.

Also, as you go up in size of cake you typically use slightly less leavening, ie. baking powder, which weakens the cake structure. The Cake Bible has a good discussion on this...

What kind of cake is it - sponge or butter (Madeira)?

All the best, I'm sure it will come out fine icon_biggrin.gif

titch Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 6

Thanx Toptier for the information, I had completely forgotten about needing a core to make sure it all bakes evenly, I'm making a lemon cake which i got the recipe off youtube, my friends have really liked it as it's nice and light, luckily all of the cakes will be standing on their own so I dont have to worry about it needing to hold another 3 cakes.

I"m going to try and bake on tuesday, to make sure it comes out ok, that way I have time to make sure i get it right. I've never baked more bigger than a 10" so wish me luck and I'll let you know how it all turns out.

thanx for the help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%