Taboo?? Baking/filling/freezing A Cake A Week Earlier?

Decorating By Lori2240 Updated 1 Aug 2008 , 3:10am by HerBoudoir

Lori2240 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 11

Ok, is this bad? I am planning a chocolate (and a few white chocolate) sheet cakes filled with swiss meringue buttercream. Can I do them a week early and freeze them? If this is a cardinal sin, what is the earliest you would possibly do it. Thanks!!

10 replies
HerBoudoir Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 11

I think it would depend on if you're selling them and what the customer's expectations are. If they're for an event for yourself, then it's more up to you.

If I make a full size cake, I always end up cutting it into large pieces and freezing the leftovers, since we don't eat all that much at once - and the defrosted leftovers always taste great. And yes - I have made a filled (mousse) and frosted cake, froze it, and served it when I didn't have time to do it right before hand. No complaints there either.

I was at the grocery store yesterday and noticed that they have an open-front freezer case where they keep the sheet cakes (a little tricky - you'd think it was just refrigerated but no) - including a graduation sheet cake (in July??? Someone needs to check the display!) Clearly selling frozen cake works for them.

I

Lori2240 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 11

Thank you for your thoughts. Im glad to hear about the mousse filling still being ok after freezing. Im kinda surprised, but that is fantastic. Kinda weary about the store cakes though. Didnt know some of those were in the deep freeze. The graduation one was probably from a year agoicon_smile.gif

MosMom Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 11

Maybe they are keeping grad cakes in stock for people that graduate in off seasons. Like beauty school and Skip Barber Racing School.

jibbies Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 11

I generally don't freeze my cakes except for 2 reasons 1. large layers (12 inches and up) that have to be torted and filled, after they are torted and before I fill them I freeze them so I can handle them without worrying about breakage.
2. Cakes that have to travel far away. I live in Macon Georgia but I have a wedding in Goldsboro NC this weekend and the cake is filled and crumb coated. It will thaw out on the trip and I will finished decorating it there. I've done this several times and the cake is fine.

Jibbies

malishka Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 11

Lori2240,
there was a thread on here about a month or so ago about freezing cakes. Sorry, can't look for it right now (at work).
working full time, I always bake 2 or even 3 weeks in advance and freeze my cakes. i wrap them in plastic wrap, then 2 layers of foil, and freeze.
I take them out a day before I need to decorate and leave them wraped to thaw out on the counter.

Didn't have any problems so far. the cakes are always moist and they taste really good. i got this idea on the CC and am really thankful for it.

Now I can manage my time more wisely.

maimerbaker Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:35pm
post #7 of 11

I just did the same thing with no problems. I had a cake due immediately following a family vacation. So, I baked, torted, brushed each layer with simple syrup, filled with SMBC and crub coated a 10", 8" and 6" cake. I stuck them in the freezer for a few minutes to harded the SMBC then wrapped them up like crazy in plastic wrap and then foil. I later defrosted them in the fridge in their wrappings. Once they were thawed, I unwrapped them and let them come to room temp on the counter. My client raved that they were super moist and lovely.

Note: I think this would only work with a buttercream filling. I would hesitate to do it with any other.

Lori2240 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:43pm
post #8 of 11

Ok, so it doesnt sound like the worst thing in the world. Thanks for the tip on the saran wrap and double foil. I have never basted with the simple syrup before. Maybe I should give that a try. Thanks!

jibbies Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:20am
post #9 of 11

The one I have in the freezer right now that I will be getting out tomorrow to take on a 7 hour trip has chocolate ganach and strawberry filling in it, I done it with several different fillings and they are fine.

Jibbies

jibbies Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:32am
post #10 of 11

The one I have in the freezer right now that I will be getting out tomorrow to take on a 7 hour trip has chocolate ganach and strawberry filling in it, I done it with several different fillings and they are fine.

Jibbies

HerBoudoir Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:10am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori2240

Thank you for your thoughts. Im glad to hear about the mousse filling still being ok after freezing. Im kinda surprised, but that is fantastic. Kinda weary about the store cakes though. Didnt know some of those were in the deep freeze. The graduation one was probably from a year agoicon_smile.gif

I've made three types of mousse filling, and they've all frozen well. Mind you, there's probably 100's of varieties of "mousse".

The three I've frozen successfully:
- Classic chocolate mousse made with egg yolks, sugar, heavy cream
- My "quick mousse filling" which is essentially whipped heavy cream with chocolate ganache beaten in
- Fruit mousse made of fruit puree and whipped heavy cream and stablized with gelatin

I defrost 12-24 hours in the fridge rather than on the counter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%