Words On The Sides Of Wedding Cake Tiers

Decorating By Antgirl Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 2:51am by antonia74

Antgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Antgirl Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 21

A bride wants Happily Ever After written on the tiers of her cake. I searched the galleries for examples of wedding cakes with writing on the tiers but couldn't find any. Does anyone have a link to some?
Also -- a concern I have is that Happily is the longest of the words and it would go on the top tier, and the shorter words would be on the larger tiers. Maybe I could write the whole phrase on each tier, progressively larger, but that would be a lot of words on the small (6") top tier.
Any advice? Thanks!!

20 replies
tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 21

I'm just going to bump you since I too would like to know how this is done.

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 21

this is one of my fav cakes with writing onthe sides :http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=52436

I hope this helps you.

crystalina1977 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 21

holy cow sorry!

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:34pm
post #7 of 21

Martha Stewart has had a couple of cakes in her Martha Stewart wedding magazine that have writing on the sides, and Wilton has one in one of their cake books, I'm not home right now or I would look them up for you,(I have the books). You might be able to find them on the internet.
It is a technique that can be very classy, if it's done correctly.

Jibbies

valerie01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valerie01 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:40pm
post #8 of 21

Here's a cake I made with writing on the sides. Not for a wedding though, and not nearly as gorgeous as the one crystalina1977 posted.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1236184.html

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:44pm
post #9 of 21

Here is one that i had saved to my favs. I think its beautiful.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=62982

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:51pm
post #10 of 21

those are all so pretty! how are the words done? are they royal icing and added or piped directly on the cake???? They just look so perfect! LOVE LOVE LOVE this look!!

yvy_cano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvy_cano Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:52pm
post #11 of 21

Here are a few
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:03pm
post #12 of 21

I used one of the templates that Doug's made and then in my Freehand program used different font sizes to see how it would look and how to space it.

I'd suggest using Sugar Veil instead of RI. Sugar Veil will form to you curved surface and look shiny and smooth.

HTH

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:05pm
post #13 of 21

Here's two I did. The pink/brown one was freehand (which I should have done much smaller, in retrospect!) , the pink/green one was using stencils...
LL
LL

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:17pm
post #14 of 21

I did this one. It's not a wedding cake, but it does have writing.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1196206

I found a font I liked, then printed it in the size in the size I needed. Then I used the pin-prick method to transfer it to the cake.

kristina67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristina67 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:19pm
post #15 of 21

homemaluhia...what is sugar veil?

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:43pm
post #16 of 21

Antonia, did you use edible marker on those cakes?

janelwaters Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:50pm
post #17 of 21

http://www.sugarveil.com/

I have sugar veil also and I really love it - I just have problems using all of it and I feel like I waste so much - but it really is just about the COOLEST thing ever!

I was just wondering how everyone else does the writing.

btw - you DON'T have to have the "air pen" to use sugar veil - you can use just a regular piping bag and regular tips.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:51pm
post #18 of 21

There's one in my pics, red and white. I lightly freehanded with a toothpick where I wanted to "write" and piped that with IMBC, but I'd use royal as an option. They loved it--it was a line from a song he'd written for her.

I've seen a cake with "happily ever after" on it, and it looked fine. Can't remember, but maybe pipe the Happily smaller, then increase the font size as you get to the larger tiers?

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:55pm
post #19 of 21

I have always wanted to do a cake with writing on the side. They are so so pretty but my writing is terrible.

I am going to check out the sugar veil product!!! I thought it was kindof expensive though???

janelwaters Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:13pm
post #20 of 21

I usually get the 1lb packet and it makes a lot! I just wish someone would post about how to keep the "left overs" for reuse. It really has made my life MUCH easier!

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 2:51am
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcupcake

Antonia, did you use edible marker on those cakes?

No, it was lustre dust thinned with vodka. I use a very fine paintbrush for the hand-written one and a stencil brush for the one done with the stencil letters.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%