I Know That It's Early!

Decorating By peg91170 Updated 1 Aug 2008 , 1:26pm by APrettyCake

peg91170 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg91170 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 7

I was watching a rerun of a Cake Challenge the other day and they were making Dr. Suess cakes. My son's birthday is a week before Christmas and I'm thinking of making a Mr. Grinch cake for him, since it's his favorite story ever. Now keep in mind, I'm rather new to this whole cake decorating thing and have NEVER attempted sculpting before. Any suggestions? TIA.

6 replies
crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 7

you have plenty of time to practice!

peg91170 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 12:36am
post #3 of 7

Yeah, thanks for that helpful advice.

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 7:37am
post #4 of 7

I am no carving expert, but could you use the Wilton 3d cake pan and then mold Dr. Seuss from gumpaste. Or could yu start with the 3d bear pan and then trim to favor him and mold his hat out of gumpaste?

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 8:23am
post #5 of 7

Make sure the cake(s) are frozen when you carve them - makes it much easier. Make lots of templates before hand to get a feel of how he should look in 3D form.

peg91170 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 10:52am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by APrettyCake

Make sure the cake(s) are frozen when you carve them - makes it much easier. Make lots of templates before hand to get a feel of how he should look in 3D form.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too. Although, I probably could do Mr. Grinch completely from memory. LOL. And I know we have the book somewhere around here, probably under Connor's bed. LOL. Thanks for the advice about freezing cakes before carving. Having never carving before and I try not to freeze cakes, I would never have thought of that. LOL.

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 1:26pm
post #7 of 7

NP - good luck! I would have been a scaredy cat and just went with the Dr. Seuss hat - just a bunch of stacked cakes and red/white stripes! But...I am a chicken like that icon_smile.gif Please post pics when you are done - I am sure it will turn out great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%