Can I Decorate Today For A Cake Due Sat/sunday??

Decorating By jessieb578 Updated 1 Aug 2008 , 6:36pm by jessieb578

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 18

Ok, so I have a LOT of cakes (for me) this weekend and I'm wondering if I could bang out one of the simple sheet cakes by decorating it today and refrigerating? It's due Sunday and is all buttercream. I also have a couple due Saturday that I'd love to get out of the way tonight too....I just don't usually decorate far in advance, I usually just do it the night before or day of.

Any thoughts??

17 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:06pm
post #2 of 18

Freezers are meant to lock in moisture while fridges slowly pull moisture out.
I honestly wouldn't bake and decorate today for a Sunday cake but rather on Friday. I'm always afraid that the cake will be dry if it sits to long.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 18

Once iced you should be fine. The cake generally only dries out when not iced and in the refrigerator. I think you'd be fine. I've done cakes 4 days prior before and they turned out fine.

jessieb578 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:14pm
post #4 of 18

Hmmmm....that's conflicting. I've had my own cake after a couple days in the refrigerator and it's just fine, although the edge that had air contact was dry.

So maybe the cakes for Saturday I could decorate today and be ok?

jessieb578 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 18

What if I fill and crumb coat today for Saturday, then ice tomorrow? That should be fine no?? Otherwise I'm just going to have to hire someone to help me. I can't work full time and have 8 cakes to do in a weekend and not get some of the work done ahead of time.... icon_cry.gif Sorry for being a whiney brat, I'm just a little stressed!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:26pm
post #6 of 18

8 cakes!!! Oh my, I think I just fainted. icon_wink.gif

Seriously, I think you'd be just fine completely icign the cake in BC and decorating it. put it in a box and wrap it well with saran wrap for further protection. thumbs_up.gif

jlewis888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlewis888 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:32pm
post #7 of 18

I have done several cakes on Thursday to be eaten on Saturday. They were fine. Very moist--lots of compliments. I do not refrigerate--unless there is a filling that would kill someone otherwise.

I really do not think this will be a problem.

jessieb578 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:37pm
post #8 of 18

Yeah, well, the ol' cake decorators guilt trip came out when people asked for cakes! Living in a small town stinks and when starting out, it's hard to say no!! So...8 cakes it is and I'm going to give it a shot decorating tonight! Otherwise, I have nothing to do tonight and lots of lost sleep tomorrow, icon_lol.gif

I do have one that has fresh strawberries in it, but I'm not doing that one - the rest with all buttercream fillings, I'm going to do.

Thanks!

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:38pm
post #9 of 18

I find my chocolate cake stays moister (is that even a word? icon_smile.gif) longer than my vanilla cake, so if all possible, I do those first. You can always bake the hell out of some cakes today and shove them in the freezer for a day or 2 so they are ready when you are for decorating.
But I agree for the most part...the sheet cake should be fine if done a few days early.

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:48pm
post #10 of 18

8 cakes?!?!?
Holy cow, good luck!
I'm jeleous, wish I had that many orders. Money is kind of tight right now.

I'll be praying for you. lol

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:15pm
post #11 of 18

If you really don't want to leave them out, you can always decorate and freeze if you have room. Just put the decorated cake in the freezer naked, let freeze, then wrap in saran wrap and foil. Then take it out when you need it, let it thaw in the wrapping.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 10:25pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlewis888

I have done several cakes on Thursday to be eaten on Saturday. They were fine. Very moist--lots of compliments. I do not refrigerate--unless there is a filling that would kill someone otherwise.

I really do not think this will be a problem.

It's pretty much standard operating procedure at my place.

mouse13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mouse13 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 12:49am
post #13 of 18

i decorate on on thursday for a saturday party. You should be fine. And then do the sunday cake on Friday. Wow 8 cakes. Good luck.

NayNay2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NayNay2 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 1:11am
post #14 of 18

Wow thats alot of cakes this weekend. Good luck icon_biggrin.gif

jessieb578 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:02pm
post #15 of 18

Thanks so much, you guys helped me out big time! I got a lot done last night and I'll finish up tonight and tomorrow morning. I don't know why but I feel the need to refrigerate though, due to the heat. I do use a half butter half shortening buttercream recipe, so it won't really melt too much, but I feel so much better having it in there!!

I don't think I'll be doing 8 cakes in a weekend again any time soon icon_lol.gif Thankfully business is very busy, but very tough being I work full time with 3 kids!!! I am very thankful though for good business considering I'm so new to this.

canuckonassignment Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canuckonassignment Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:20pm
post #16 of 18

I just wanted to make sure I read this post right...I just baked my 11x15 chocolate cake for a Sunday party. I will decorate tonight. It's an army/camo cake. Baking on Friday for Sunday is fine? Do I leave it in the fridge once decorated with BC or do I leave it out? I'm very very green.

To the OP GOOD LUCK WITH 8 CAKES!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 6:23pm
post #17 of 18

Wow! 8 cakes icon_eek.gif You poor thing no wonder your stressed with working full time and a family too.

canuckonassignment
I bake 2 days before and fill plus crumb coat, decorate the day before and deliver the day of. This is what works best for me.

jessieb578 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 6:36pm
post #18 of 18

canuckonassignment - I think it depends on a few things whether you leave it out or refrigerate - like fillings, fondant, royal icing, etc....with a basic all buttercream cake, if you can have it in a cool area it's fine to leave it out. It's so hot in the summer where I am (espeically in my shop, it's a brick building) so I refrigerate all of my cakes (with the exception of fondant).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%