Fondant Diamonds On Sides Of Cake?

Decorating By pjaycakes Updated 1 Aug 2008 , 4:03pm by pjaycakes

pjaycakes Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 10:06am
post #1 of 10

I want to cover my cake in fondant and then put diamond cut outs all over the sides of the cake (like a quited pattern but with flat cut outs).

Do I mark the cake first and then glue the fondant diamonds or do I just cut them out and start putting them on the cake.

Thanks

9 replies
mgdsue02 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 11:09am
post #2 of 10

I have never done that, but would think marking the cake first would avoid misjudging placement of the diamonds. Just my opinion. icon_smile.gif

grama_j Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 11:35am
post #3 of 10

So you will have a double layer of fondant all over your cake ?

mamacc Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 10

Well, I usually just cut them out and stick on...no marking. If they are too floppy you can let them sit and firm up for a little bit.

pjaycakes Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 10

Yes just like the bottom tier of this cake done by Jennifer Dontz. Thanks

pjaycakes Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:42pm
post #6 of 10

Sorry couldn't attach the pic. Here is a link to the cake. The green and pink one with the bottom diamond tier.

http://hometown.aol.com/cakebabe1/index.html

grama_j Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 10

WOW! She is really talented, isn't she ?!
That doesn't look to hard... I would use a diamond impression mat right on the cake surface, then put it on the fondant you rolled out on your work surface, and make an impression on that one. Then cut them out. They will be the exact size you need and will fit into the pattern you have put on your cake.... PLEASE post a picture when you get it finished ?? It sounds really nice....... what colors are you using ?

pjaycakes Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:52pm
post #8 of 10

I was going to combine a few ideas from different cakes I saw on here. The cake is for 2 men and 2 women so I was trying to come up with a style that was feminine, but with some masculinity to it. I don't like to put flowers on men's cakes.

White fondant covered with green diamonds and yellow buttercream dots between the diamonds. Then on top of the cake I was going to make some yellow fondant ribbon roses.

They always look better in my mind, I will post the reality tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help.

sugarshack Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:11pm
post #9 of 10

I dont mark the cake, but it is not a bad idea IF you have something to mark it with that is the exact same size as the diamonds. I just cut them out, and put them on....

pjaycakes Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:03pm
post #10 of 10

Here is a link to the end result.

Of course there are many things I would do different next time, but I was pleased with the diamonds. I should have put something in that big blank space in the top right of the cake, but it was after 11:00 last night and I just didn't care anymore.

Thanks everyone for all your help. The fear of fondant diamonds are behind me icon_wink.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1250226

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%