Fondant - Can I Make The Cutouts Ahead Of Time?

Decorating By margaretb Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 4:37pm by peg91170

margaretb Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:59am
post #1 of 4

I posted this question earlier, but not sure what happened, as it hasn't shown up in the forum.

Anyway, I am making a fondant covered wedding cake that will have a lot of fondant leaves on it. I would like to make the leaves at least one day before I do the cake. Will that work, or will they dry out too much? I was thinking of just laying them out on cookie sheets covered in saran wrap. Is that okay, or do they need to be more tightly sealed? The cake is for my cousin, and her sister is picking it up the day before the wedding (it is 6 hours away), and I would like to send some extra leaves with her in case she needs to cover up any disasters, plus the border is going to be little balls of fondant, so I need to send them with her to put on after she stacks the cake. I'd appreciate any advice on this.

TIA

3 replies
amysue99 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:13am
post #2 of 4

If you put them in plastic baggies or tupperware, they should be fine. And, depending on the humidity, they may stay soft for a while. It's really humid here right now and I've got stuff on the counter that's been there for days and it's still soft.

marknelliesmum Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:01am
post #3 of 4

Hi margaretb

I always do fondant detail a few days in advance to give it a chance to 'dry out' - that way it holds its shape eg. roses, but is still soft enough to bite into. I don't have to battle with temps or humidity over here so I can't really advise you on storage. I did want to pose a question on your behalf that you may not have considered (I can't tell from your post!)but hopefully someone will clarify (I'm not trying to be bold, just helpful! icon_redface.gif ) Assuming you don't want all of the leaves to sit flat on the cake and want some to have the structure of real leaves ( curved, curled etc) I would put them on scrunched up paper or something on the cookie sheet - if they are stored flat you may get some cracking in your fondant when you come to bend them into shape when putting them on the cake. I know the fondant textures etc are slightly different over here so you may not have this problem but like i said I'm hoping someone will clarify for you - I'd hate for you do do a heap of work in advance only for it not to be as pretty as you want it to be.

peg91170 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 4

I made a birthday cake last week that had fondant cutouts. I cut out the flowers on Monday and "glued" them together on Tuesday. I wanted them to be rather dry before I put them on. I put them on the cake on Saturday morning and they were fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%