Help 14" Cake

Decorating By matwogirls Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 5:32am by cakemaker61

matwogirls Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:35am
post #1 of 5

I never even thought to see if my cooling racks would fit a 14" cake!!! icon_redface.gif And they don't. What do you do? Can I use a rack from my oven? or are the mettal rod things to far apart?

PLEASE help I already baked cake and now I don't know what to do. And I need the pan to make a 2nd cake tonight. I won't have time to cook it tomorrow.

Thanks
Janice

4 replies
leah_s Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:44am
post #2 of 5

If you have two cooling racks, place them side by side.

jibbies Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:57am
post #3 of 5

I have used a rack out of my fridge, an extra rack from my oven (make sure it's cool) and even a rack that's too small if I'm desperate,
You'll be fine!

Jibbies

terrylee Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:07am
post #4 of 5

I have never used a rack. I cool my cakes on the counter with paper towels under them. They cool fine and the paper towels keeps them from sticking. When cool enough I transfer them to my cake table.

cakemaker61 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:32am
post #5 of 5

To matwogirls: I know that you've already figured something out, but I really don't see the need for cooling racks in the first place. I've been baking cakes for years and have never used them. After the cake comes out of the oven, I let it cool for about 10-15 min. in the pan, then trim it if needed. After that, I place two pieces of wax paper on to and flip it over onto a cake cardboard. After that, they're double wrapped in plastic wrap and put in the freezer. I've never had a problem doing it this way and everyone always tells me my cakes are moist and delicious. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%