Fondant

Decorating By loloandjaffy2 Updated 12 Aug 2005 , 6:55pm by gegon

loloandjaffy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loloandjaffy2 Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 7

I am currently taking Wilton course 3. I have never worked with fondant before. I was shocked at the cost of Wilton Fondant. I would end up spending over $25 for just my class cakes. I have seen posts on fondant recipes, including marshmallow. I have also seen posts that the Wilton fondant tastes awful. Can anyone give me any tips, recipes, etc. Thanks!

6 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 7

I made the mistake of buying Wilton fondant - once. Wilton fondant does taste awful, IMHO. I have heard you can add flavorings to it to help with the taste.
I have used MMF on several occasions now and find it tastes good and is MUCH less expensive than Wilton. The recipe is 16oz bag of mini marshmallows, 3 Tbsp. water, one pound of conf. sugar. Melt marshmallows & water, then knead in sugar. Simple, but a little messy! Try it - you'll be glad you did!

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

I made the mistake of buying Wilton fondant - once. Wilton fondant does taste awful, IMHO. I have heard you can add flavorings to it to help with the taste.
I have used MMF on several occasions now and find it tastes good and is MUCH less expensive than Wilton. The recipe is 16oz bag of mini marshmallows, 3 Tbsp. water, one pound of conf. sugar. Melt marshmallows & water, then knead in sugar. Simple, but a little messy! Try it - you'll be glad you did!

I just finished course III and used MMF for the class. My instructor had never heard of it and when everyone else pulled their fondant out of the box and mine came out of a zip-lock bag her eye-brow raised. I let the class taste a sample and ended up giving the receipe to everyone, including the teacher. It taste sooo much better and is so cheap to make-around $2.00 a batch and that makes about twice the amount in the Wilton box.

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 7

I would strongly advise not buying the wilton fondant. It does work up nicely but it taste horrible and most people pull it off the cake and throw it away. I would say make MMF it is the only fondant I use. It cost WAY less than any fondant I've seen. It's easy to make (follow the tutorial from the home page) and it taste good.

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 7

My MMF never hardened and I wanted to make a big fluffy bow and I know that I'll never be able to if I don't add something to the MMF. I am assuming it was the humidity, but I don't know. I've never worked with anything but the MMF and the pre-made Wilton Fondant. Is there something to add to MMF to make it harden/dry faster? Can you add gumpaste to MMF and if so, how much to a recipe?

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 6:51pm
post #6 of 7

fytar, MMF will suck the moisture right out of the air! I had the same problem. Keeping it in air conditioning helped, but the moment it came out it softened again. Someone recommended to me to add a few tablesppons of gumpaste mix to a batch of MMF, but i haven't tried it yet. Let me know how it turns out!

gegon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gegon Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 7

I am a do it yourself kind of person plus I like to know what is in the things I will consume so most of the things I use on cakes, I make myself. I tried making fondant a couple of days back using a recipe I found at wilton.com and it worked perfectly plus, I added some amaretto flavoring to it...even better. So, the Wilton ready-made fondant may be awful but, the recipe they give is great.

Just follow this link to see the recipe (you will need to scroll down a little)

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/icing/rolledfondant.cfm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%