Not Thrilled With Choc. Wasc...need Ideas

Baking By Launa Updated 5 Aug 2008 , 2:36pm by iluvjay829

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:45am
post #1 of 12

I've been using the chocolate version of WASC except using cold coffee as part of the water, but it just doesn't taste as yummy and chocolaty as I'd like. I've thought about putting a box of pudding in with it. Has anyone tried this, or is there a better chocolate recipe out there? I just love WASC and all it's versions, but I need some help with the chocolate.

Thanks!

11 replies
jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:52am
post #2 of 12

Hi Launa! I totally agree with you! Although, the only other version of WASC I tried was chocolate and I wasn't impressed with it, so I never tried any others.

If you don't mind me asking, what other flavors have you done successfully?

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:53am
post #3 of 12

Here is my standard chocolate recipe for using a box mix.

1 box devil's food cake mix
1 3.9 oz box chocolate pudding
3 eggs
1/2 C oil
1 1/3 C whole milk
1/2 C sour cream

Very chocolatey, very moist, and everyone really likes it.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:59am
post #4 of 12

There is a durable cake recipe in the recipe files and a chocolate version of it as well. I used the chocolate version of it in my "Edie's Shoe" cake (see my pix) and it got rave reviews. It was a little thicker batter but very tasty. I used DH chocolate fudge mix and a chocolate fudge pudding for a more chocolatey taste. Hope that helps some. icon_biggrin.gif

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:01am
post #5 of 12

Thanks everyone for your help!! I knew I could count on ya'll to come through for me! Jessieb578, I've tried the strawberry and also the lemon versons and they both were AWESOME!!

SuHwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuHwa Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:01am
post #6 of 12

Instead of using water in the CASC use chocolate caramel coffee creamer or chocolate milk for the water. I tweak the WASC recipe for chocolate in other ways too. Reduce each cup of flour to 3/4 and use 1/4 c of cocoa powder in it's place. If I do use the coffee creamer instead of the cocolate milk, I reduce the sugar by 1/4 cup for each cup as well. I am partial to the chocolate caramel flavor. I get it in the milk section where they keep the refrigerated liquid creamers. Others use powdered creamers, but I can taste something "off" when I do so I stick to the liquid ones.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:02am
post #7 of 12
ColeAlayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ColeAlayne Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:29am
post #8 of 12

I use the dark chocolate cake recipe on the back of the Hershey's Cocao container. It is extremely dense. I have had nothing but rave reviews on the taste. My only complaint is that the cake is very sticky and difficult to frost...especially when using white bc.

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:11pm
post #9 of 12

thanks, I've been wanting to try the lemon version....I'll have to do that one of these days off!

ColeAlayne - a trick I learned in one of my cake classes was to sprinkle some powdered sugar on top of sticky cakes and then they're easier to handle! I hate that darn stickiness of the Hershey's Cake, but I love that recipe too!

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 1:57am
post #10 of 12

I've also use the chocolate fudge cake mix and sub out 1/4 cup flour for cocoa. I think it lends a really nice chocolatey flavor. Dark and rich.

My usual go to chocolate cake is the double chocolate layer cake from epicurious.com.

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 2:28am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeAlayne

I use the dark chocolate cake recipe on the back of the Hershey's Cocao container. It is extremely dense. I have had nothing but rave reviews on the taste. My only complaint is that the cake is very sticky and difficult to frost...especially when using white bc.

Ditto. Its sooo rich and dense and moist and sticky!!! I never crumbcoat cakes but you have to with this cake.

iluvjay829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvjay829 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:36pm
post #12 of 12

I tried the reciped on here called Darn Good Chocolate Cake. It was wonderfully moist, but a little fudgy for me. I made it again using BC Milk Chocolate Cake Mix, Chocolate Pudding mix, and milk chocolate chips, keeping everything else the same. It was to die for! The best chocolate cake I've ever had by far.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%