Need To Buy A Mixer Fast

Decorating By Henna20 Updated 3 Aug 2008 , 7:46pm by lorrieg

Henna20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Henna20 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:38am
post #1 of 9

I am in desperate need of a stand mixer. Right now I just have a hand mixer that is not cutting it.
I grew up using a kitchen aid so i was leaning towards getting one. My only problem is that i only want a tilt head mixer and the kitchen aid ones are pretty small. I hate the bowl lift ones so that is not an option. But now i am seeing info about the cusinart 7 quart mixer and that looks like it might be a better option but there are such mixed reviews on it. Some people say its amazing and some people say it was a waste of their money.
Which is the better mixer???

8 replies
lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 1:08am
post #2 of 9

I love, love, love my Cuisinart 7Qt. It's big though. I did keep my smaller KA to have as a second mixer and one to make smaller quantities.

So I like them both. icon_smile.gif

Henna20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Henna20 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 3:14am
post #3 of 9

thanks for your input

anyone else??

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 3:42am
post #4 of 9

I bought a KA 600 Pro a few months ago. It works great. I just wish it was a tilt-head instead of a bowl lift. Scraping it is a pain in the tushie.

trixe371 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trixe371 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 4:06am
post #5 of 9

why don't you check out consumer reports to see if they have done a comparison of the two mixers, after you get everyone elses opinion. CR usually has great info about products. i always consult them before i make a major purchase and i haven't been sorry yet. thumbs_up.gif

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 2:22pm
post #6 of 9

I've had a KA "lift bowl" (5 Qt. bowl) for about 20 years and it's been a great mixer. I recently ordered the 7 Qt. Cuisinart and absolutely love the size. I have them side by side on my kitchen counter and use the KA for small batches and the Cuisinart for double batches of Buttercream, double batches of cookie dough or large batches of bread. I'm not sure why people didn't like the Cuisinart, but I love mine. The only two things I've noticed on the Cuisinart is it does "walk" a little (not much) when mixing heavy doughs and I just don't care for the design of the splash guard. Even considering those two things I'm still so glad I bought it.

lorrieg Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 2:50pm
post #7 of 9

luby, I don't get why people don't like the Cuisinart either but you find that with all brands of anything.

Mine doesn't walk- yet. icon_smile.gif Why don't you like the splash guard? It is really different from the KA one but I think that's why I like it. Nothing gets past it. Actually I like the KA for feeding flour & sugar in.

Have you made Sugarshack's icing in the big one yet? I'd love to know what ratios people are using.

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrieg

luby, I don't get why people don't like the Cuisinart either but you find that with all brands of anything.

Mine doesn't walk- yet. icon_smile.gif Why don't you like the splash guard? It is really different from the KA one but I think that's why I like it. Nothing gets past it. Actually I like the KA for feeding flour & sugar in.

Have you made Sugarshack's icing in the big one yet? I'd love to know what ratios people are using.

Hey lorrie,
I don't care for the very small opening in which to feed the ingredients - the KA has a much large opening and easier to get the stuff in without spilling. The KA is just easier to put on and take off, but this minor thing does not change my mind about the mixer. I still love it and like you don't understand why some people don't care for it.

I've never made Sugarshack's icing - I have a recipe I got from my instructor. In fact, I just posted it a few minutes ago and not sure when it will show up. It's titled Foolproof Crusting Buttercream. One of the main reasons I got the Cuisinart was to be able to make double batches of the Buttercream. Wouldn't you know I've yet to need a double batch icon_lol.gif

lorrieg Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 7:46pm
post #9 of 9

The opening is a bit smaller and you do have to remove the paddle from the Q to take the cover off. I wish there were seal lids for it like the KA has.

Sugarshack's needs to fill the whole bowl to make it totally smooth and almost no bubbles. So far I've just made it in the KA. Actually a 7Q bowl of icing would be gross. icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%