Advice On Big Castle Cake Please!

Decorating By mamacc Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 7:21pm by mamacc

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:14am
post #1 of 5

I'm making a castle wedding cake at my part time job and I'm trying to figure out the best way to cover this cake with fondant. It's a tall square castle, and I'm using a brick impression mat. What is the best way to do this?? I'm worried about the fondant sagging after I put it on the cake....and this has happened to me before. If I add gumtex or tylose to the fondant I won't be able to let it sit very long since I'm doing this cake all in one day. (it's carved and all set up though) I'm doing big RKT turrets and I think I'll be fine covering those. It's really just the main part that I'm worried about.

Any advice on the best way to go here? thin panels?? thick panels? HELP! I really don't want to screw this up!..and I won't be delivering it either...

4 replies
mamacc Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 5

Well...I was thinking about this for a while last night and I think that I'm going to try first covering the entire castle in a thinner layer of fondant, and then adding on the walls. I don't know if I'll even be able to roll a piece of fondant that big though.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 5

How big is the cake?
I have a long piece of pvc piping that I use to roll out big pieces of fondant.
The biggest cake I've ever covered was a 14" round though.
Rolling the fondant thin might help with the sagging, thinner fondant = less weight.
Good Luck, let us know how it goes!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:27pm
post #4 of 5

If it is square I think I would cover in fondant, then make a panel for each wall in gumpaste or fondant with Tylose, cut the square, do the impression and either let dry if you have time, or apply to the wall when you can. I have seen them do this technique on Ace of Cakes a lot when they have walls to do.

I have to make a round castle in the fall and I am a nervous wreck trying to figure out how I am going to make the impression on the sides of the cake!

mamacc Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 5

I don't have time....just tommorrow to finish the whole cake so I won't be able to do panels ahead of time. I think it will be fine as long as I cover the whole thing first and then add the walls in sections. I do like the idea of making the panels ahead of time though, they come out perfect! Things tend to be pretty last minute at my job though, lol, last week I had one day to find a high heel cookie cutter and then do 150 cookies the next day.

The cake is probably about 14 in tall and 12 in wide.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%