Fondant - Can I Make The Cutouts Ahead Of Time?

Decorating By margaretb Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 7:03pm by apetricek

margaretb Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:08am
post #1 of 3

I am making a cake for my cousin that is going to be fondant covered with lots of fondant leaves stuck to it. Can I make the leaves the day ahead? How should I store them? I was thinking of cutting all the leaves out a day or even two ahead then covering them well with plastic wrap. This would save me a lot of time on the official cake making day. Plus the wedding is 6 hours away, so her sister is picking up the cake at 6 am the day before the wedding (she will stack it herself), so I have a really strict deadline. Also, I want to send some extra leaves in case there are any problems that need to be covered up. Plus the border is little fondant balls, and since the sister will be stacking the cake, she will have to put the fondant balls on as well. Okay to just make them and wrap them -- maybe leave them on a big cookie sheet or something?

I asked this once before, as well, but I would appreciate any futher thoughts -- the topper is leaves stuck on wires (copying a charm city cakes cake) -- is this something I can do with fondant -- ie if I put them on wires will they dry out enough to stick? How much time do they need to dry?

TIA for any advice on this.

2 replies
SWEETBAKES Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 3

If you make the fondant pieces in advance that will be fine. Just let them sit out to dry for at least 1 full day. When you send them with her, you can wrap them in something or put the in a container. As for the wire pieces, make sure they are thick enough that the wire will not show when pushed in. You'd want to make the leaves and insert the wire at the same time, then let it dry. ! full day for drying would be okay, but longer is okay too.

I also hope that you have a contract with them for this cake as far as them picking it up and stacking it themselves, so that they don't try to hold you responsible for anything if something happens.

apetricek Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 7:03pm
post #3 of 3

Just remember that how ever you have them drying..ex. flat is how they will dry. If it is a round cake, they will not "sit" properly up against the cake, and they will crack if they don't stay flat. I found this out the hard way. I would premake your leaves on the wire, since they have to be SUPER dry or will fall off the wire, also a lesson I learned! One time saver is to have your fondant all precolored and stored away and then that way you can have it ready to go when you cut them. Best of luck to you, I also would have them sign something saying they are taking full responsibility for the cake since it is going so far.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%