Need Help-- How Do I Add Ribbon To A Wedding Cake??

Decorating By terismithwilcox Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 5:38pm by rkljazz

terismithwilcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terismithwilcox Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:08am
post #1 of 7

ok-- have to add ribbon-- how do I attach it in the back, what do I use and is there anything I can do so the grease form the butter doesn't bleed through the ribbon changing the color-- I remember reading somewhere about using waxed paper, but cannot remember how--

please help-- cake due Saturday-- thanks all!!!

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:36am
post #2 of 7

I attached the ribbon usually at the venue during set up. By this time my icing has crusted very well so there are no "wet spots" for the ribbon to soak up. I attach the two ends in the back with a dot of BC as "glue" to hold them together. If there's a wet-spot on the ribbon, it's only in this one place.

Putting ribbon on a round cake was frustrating to me (had gaps in the ribbon where it didnt' lay flat) until I realize it was because the side of the cake was not PERFECTLY straight up and down. Smoothing with a 90 degree bench scraper solved the problem.

terismithwilcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terismithwilcox Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:49am
post #3 of 7

i think that would work for in indoor reception--with AC-- I forgot to mention-- outdoor wedding and it will be over 80 degrees--

now what??-- please advise

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 11:09am
post #4 of 7

I only use fondant ribbon, dyed to whatever color is needed.

kakesbykim01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakesbykim01 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 7

Can anyone give any tips on how to properly add and attach fondant riboon? I have my first wedding cake order with the ribbon and was going to make one from fondant but have never attached one to a cake. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:20pm
post #6 of 7

If it s a fondant cake then put the tinest bit of moisture on the cake and apply the ribbon. If it's buttercream and has crusted, you may need to add a thin line of fresh bc well below where the top where the ribbon will go.

For the ribbon cut a long strip (obviously) and either pick it up and guide it around the cake, or roll it with a strip of vinyl and then unroll as you go around the cake.

It takes a bit of practice, but it's so much more responsible than putting fabric on a food product.

I have found that sometimes Satin Ice is too soft for ribbons, so I mix it 50/50 with (shudder) Wilton to give it some stability. Don't add gumpaste as you don't want the ribbon hard, just stable.

rkljazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkljazz Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:38pm
post #7 of 7

To attach ribbon I got a small pastry brush and soaked the back of the ribbon with corn syrup. Then I attached it the to already crusted buttercream. It was a little spotty at first but after an hour the corn syrup saturated the ribbon to a uniform color. This will darken the color of the ribbon though. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%