Black... Ugh

Decorating By ChristianCakeBaker Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 2:05pm by andromedaslove

ChristianCakeBaker Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:35am
post #1 of 8

does using chocolate icing or fondant really taste good when making black? i hate that nasty food color flavor when using it. i'm going to be making a cake soon with a lot of black on it, and was wondering if it will still taste good. are there any tricks or anything i need to know? thanks icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
muddpuppy Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:42am
post #2 of 8

Hi there!!
Sorry I can't help on the taste aspect but I can tell you from personal experience that making black fondant is horrible and I reccommend you purchase it already coloured if you can. icon_smile.gif

lilmiz Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:57am
post #3 of 8

Yes Satin Ice Black fondant is a life saver!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

debster Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:15am
post #4 of 8

I can't tell you about fondant but for black icing AMERICOLOR brand super black is fantastic, I use all my leftover colors in a large bin and add the super black to it. The longer it sits the blacker it gets and NO bad taste. I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lynn4cakes Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:26am
post #5 of 8

For black icing I use black cocoa, it tastes great and does not leave your mouth black.

tree45 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:59am
post #6 of 8

I agree AMERICOLOR leaves no taste and it's very black!! I love it!! icon_smile.gif

KathysCC Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:45am
post #7 of 8

I just had someone tell me today that if you have to use a lot of black, it is better to cover it with fondant and airbrush it.
Of course many of us don't have airbrush machines.

For black fondant, I use Satin Ice dark chocolate and add black coloring. I never would have a reason to use a whole tub of the Black Satin Ice and have never ordered it.

For black buttercream, I just add black color to white icing. One thing to remember is that black turns blacker as it dries. To test it, try making your icing a dark grey, smooth it onto the back of a plate and let it sit for an hour. You will be surprised how black it turns. So you don't have to use as much coloring as you think. This is true for fondant too.

andromedaslove Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:05pm
post #8 of 8

I always use MMF and when I need to have a black I always start with chocolate MMF. It makes it ALOT easier, and the taste is great too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%