Red Velvet Frosting

Decorating By brunette81391 Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 8:10pm by tiggy2

brunette81391 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brunette81391 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 6

which frosting taste best with red velvet cake???

and also for my senior project i am going to do it on cake decorating, when i make red velvet do i still put icing on it because i wanted to make a fondant red velvet cake and i was wondering if the cake still needed to be frosted on plus the fondant.???

5 replies
KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:03am
post #2 of 6

Coconut-Pecan Frosting...

1 cup milk
2 Tbsp all-purp flour
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 Tsp vanilla extract
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts

Combine milk and flour in small saucepan, cook over medium heat, whisking or stirring often until mixture thickens almost to a paste, 2-4 minutes. Remove from the heat and scrape it into a small bowl to cool completely.......Meanwhile, beat the butter with a mixer at high speed until light and fluffy. Add the sugar in thirds, beating well each time, until mix is creamy and fairly smooth. Add the cooled milk and flour mix and beat for 1 to 2 minutes, scraping down the sides now and then to combine everything well. Using a large spoon or your spatula stir in vanilla, coconut and pecans. mixing to combine everything well into a thick, fluffy,nubby icing....THIS is a very yummy icing on red velvet....or u can use the traditional cream cheese frosting.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:32am
post #3 of 6

Cream Cheese Frosting is so yummy with it. I would frost then cover with Fondant

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:39pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxxy_luvs_duff

Cream Cheese Frosting is so yummy with it. I would frost then cover with Fondant

Why do u cover it in fondant? Is it to give it that nice finish? Do u peel off the fondant before u eat the cake?? I know I have a million questions but that is very interesting to me, I never thought to do that...Also do u use MMF to cover?

marybible Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marybible Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 6

my vote is for the cream cheese frosting. And I was always told to frost your cake before you put fondant on it.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 6

You need to at least put a crumb coat on the cake or the fondant wont stik. The icing under the fondant needs to be smooth or your fondant wont be smooth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%