Parchment Lined Pans

Decorating By cyndy40 Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 3:38pm by missmeg

cyndy40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cyndy40 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 21

How many of you line your pans with parchment?

Do you line only the bottom, or do you also collar the pan to get a little extra height?

How long do you let the cake cool in the pan when lined with parchment?

Do you wrap the cake to settle with the parchment on, or do you remove the parchment and then wrap the cake to settle?

I've just started using parchment to line my pans and love the results, but I would like to know how it works for others.

TIA!

20 replies
Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 12:57am
post #2 of 21

Well, I can't answer all your questions but I can tell you I do put parchment in the bottom of my pans. I have not collared yet. I remove the parchment as soon as I take the cake out of the pan.

HipnotiqGlamour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HipnotiqGlamour Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:14am
post #3 of 21

I myself use parchments everytime I bake. I just love the results. I myself do not collar them. I usually pull my cake out of the oven and let it sit in the pan until its warm to the touch. I then take the cake out pull the parchment paper off and let the cake sit a bit longer but not until completly cooled. I then wrap with plastic wrap, foil and place in a ziplock in the freezer.

Hope this helps =)

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:25am
post #4 of 21

I do the same thing, parchment EVERYtime.. bottom and collar too, not for added height really, but just for easy release and easier clean up. Plus, when using larger pans and flowernails, I can put them through the bottom of the parchment instead of in the pan and it's a million times easier to get them out... I think so anyway.. lol...

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:51am
post #5 of 21

I use parchment paper in the bottom of the pans not the sides. I allow cakes to rest in the pan for 10 minutes- I set the timer- then turn the cake out on a cooling rack. The parchment paper is removed at this point. I allow the cake to cool then wrap securely.

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:38am
post #6 of 21

I parchment the bottom only for all my cakes. I will leave in the pan until warm or completely cool, depends on what else I've got going on. I like to leave the parchment on until the very last minute...when I'm ready to use the cake because I find that the parchment gives the cake more stability...I leave it on while torting and when flash freezing pretty much until the last possible minute. HTH icon_smile.gif

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:17am
post #7 of 21

I use the parchment on the bottoms of my pans only. I pop my cakes out just as soon as they come out of the oven and don't take the paper off until I am ready to stack the cake. It is my visual clue as to which side is the bottom/level side.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:02pm
post #8 of 21

It depends on what kind of cake I'm making and what kind of pans I'm using it it.

I use Pam with Flour to coat all my pans, and I usually use parchment on pans that aren't non-stick. I also consider it more important with larger pans than with smaller ones (I make a lot of 5 inch and 6 inch cakes).

If it's something that I think may be particularly hard to get out of the pan, I use a parchment lined springform pan.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:13pm
post #9 of 21

I've used parchment a lot and I just line the pans and don't even use any grease...but I run a knife around the edges to loosen cake.

I've let them sit in the pans overnight before and they've been fine. Lately I've just been using the Pam spray b/c I'm too lazy to cut parchment, lol.

clarasmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clarasmommy Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:17pm
post #10 of 21

I'm glad someone asked this question.. I'm new, and was wondering about it also. So do I just cut a circle, and stick it in the bottom of my pan? Will wax paper work too? Do I need to freeze the cake afterward? Does it make things easier? Just curious.

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:36pm
post #11 of 21

I would not use waxed paper - it can leave a nasty taste on the cakes, because it kind of gets all melty. I always, always, always use parchment paper on the bottom of my pans! I spray the pan with cooking spray w/ flour, add the cut circle of parchment to the bottom, then spray again lightly. Cakes come out of the pan about 10 mins after they cool, and parchment comes off so they can completely cool.
I have never had a problem with cakes releasing with the parchment. Did I mention I ALWAYS use parchment paper on the bottom of my pans? icon_lol.gif

cyndy40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cyndy40 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:57pm
post #12 of 21

Thank You all for your repsonses. I do find that my cakes bake up much more level and straight using the parchment paper. Also, they seem to hold a much better shape of the pan. It is a pain in to cut these to size, but it is such a better product in the end.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:20pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorijom

I like to leave the parchment on until the very last minute...when I'm ready to use the cake because I find that the parchment gives the cake more stability...I leave it on while torting and when flash freezing pretty much until the last possible minute. HTH icon_smile.gif

That's exactly what I do. It's so much easier to handle a 1" thick layer when it's being 'held together' with parchment.

I parchment the bottom only and let my cakes cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool completely - parchment side down. The parchment also prevents the cake from sticking to the cooling rack.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:33pm
post #14 of 21

I just started putting parchment paper on about a year ago and I love it! I spray the pans with Baker's Joy, put parchment on the bottom (only) and lightly spray it again. When you spray the paper, it comes off of the cake very cleaning and leaves a nice surface on the cake.

I let my cakes cool for a few minutes, 5 or 10 minutes, then I turn them out onto racks and remove the parchment paper. Then, I turn them over so they cool bottom side down. That way, if I have any hump or unevenness, the cakes won't sag or break and I can level off of the top.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:45pm
post #15 of 21

Deleting duplicate post

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:45pm
post #16 of 21

Parchment every single time. I buy the pre-cut circles though (I only have to cut when I do square cakes since I have not found the pre-cut squares just yet)!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:45pm
post #17 of 21

I've used both - parchment and wax(mostly wax cause it was cheaper!) and the wax paper actually does not melt and get waxy on the cake. As long as the paper is covered (as it is with batter), you're fine.

I don't use either now, the homemade release or Cake release works just fine for me.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:47pm
post #18 of 21

A paper towel works just as well if you don't have any parchment. I don't use anything else in the pan; just let the cake cool about 10 mins and it turns out perfectly! icon_smile.gif

4laynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4laynes Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:56pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndy40

Thank You all for your repsonses. I do find that my cakes bake up much more level and straight using the parchment paper. Also, they seem to hold a much better shape of the pan. It is a pain in to cut these to size, but it is such a better product in the end.

I have had my cakes stick with cake release and homemade pan coat. Now I always use parchment on the bottom. The cake naturally pulls away from the sides. I usually bake the night before and freeze the cakes still in the pans. With a good bit of shaking they pop right out! Have you seen this video on how to cut easy parchment rounds?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxB7VRdnK5o&feature=user

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:09pm
post #20 of 21

I think this is one of those things that what you start out doing is what you continue, I didn't start out using parchment in my pans so I just never did. I use crisco and flour, I haven't had any issues with cakes sticking, not even the big ones. I leave my cakes in the pans for 15 minutes (I set the timer).

Jibbies

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:38pm
post #21 of 21

How many of you line your pans with parchment?
I do

Do you line only the bottom, or do you also collar the pan to get a little extra height?
I used to collar, but I prefer to just line the bottom.

How long do you let the cake cool in the pan when lined with parchment?
I let the cake cool for 5-10 minutes before flipping to the cooling rack. I then wait another 5-10 minutes and pull off the bottom parchment paper to let the steam escape. I let my cake cool upside down.

Do you wrap the cake to settle with the parchment on, or do you remove the parchment and then wrap the cake to settle?
As stated above, I let my cakes cool with the parchment of, then wrap in saran wrap.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%