I Need Help With Hippee Cake

Decorating By sheila06 Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 10:31pm by playingwithsugar

sheila06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheila06 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 11

I am making a birthday cake two tiers and the girl is into hippee stuff. I don't know what else to put on the cake besides flowers and peace signs......any ideas anyone? Thanks

10 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 11

Tye dye! Make the overall icing tye dye colors.
This is easy if you have an airbrush.
Lots of beadsicon_smile.gif A headband; sandles......

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:51pm
post #3 of 11

tye dye tee shirts!! I made tye dye tee cookies (in my pix.) Very easy and lots of fun to do. You can put a few on the cake or around the sides. Also braided belts with long tassels. Jeans with embroidery on the bottoms. Peace signs, flowers, anything that looks crocheted... -- Actually ask Indydebi -- she had a ton of ideas on a 70s cake that sounded similar to yours. Hope that helps some! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 11

As a "child of the 70's" (turned 16 in 1975), I lived in elephant leg blue jeans, the big floppy hats (and I had a big Mickey Mouse Club pin right in the center!!), halter tops had just come out, platform shoes (where the 6" platform was made of plaster and they dont' hold up when walking in the rain .. guess how I found out!!). Jeans weren't cool if they weren't covered with lots of patches, whether they had holes or not.

I owned a deerskin-type vest with fringe that swung down past my hips (I actually still have it and my kids have worn it at Halloween!). Every teen's bedroom HAD to have black lights and black light posters. (Spencer's Gifts was our favorite store to shop in!)

And let's not forget the top of the line technology .... eight track tapes!!! ... that we listened to with GIANT headphones.

For the 60's era, bob listed a lot of good stuff.... add "granny" glasses, headbands and long straight hair. hemlines were all over the place ... mini's, midi's, and what we called "granny dresses" ..... those that went to our ankles. Beatle hair cuts for guys.

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 11:09pm
post #5 of 11

I did a tye dye MMF for my DD's college graduation and she loved it! My husband loves GP roses so insisted I put some along with a left over GP bow... so it made it hippie meets romance kinda weird but she still loved it. I just mixed Fuschia colored MMF with white and voila! HTH
LL

joaaaann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joaaaann Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 11:23pm
post #6 of 11

Well there are some good ideas here so far.. flip flops are definitely a hippy thing. Bandannas too. Long hair and Fro's were the 'in thing ' too... Ooh! a Lava Lamp would be "far out!"Image

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 11:27pm
post #7 of 11

Lava lamp!! oh yeah!! GOTTA have a lava lamp thing!!

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 11:52pm
post #8 of 11

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned a "peace" symbol! That's, like, ICONIC hippy, at least in my area...

sheila06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheila06 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 11:38am
post #9 of 11

Thank you all so much for the replies, you ALL have great ideas. I guess I just went brain dead for a while icon_cool.gif ...I forgot about the headbands, sandals, platform shoes and lava lamps !!! I was a child during the 70's hippee days and don't remember much but the tiedye, flowers, peace signs and hippee vans ! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif LOL

anoldhippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anoldhippy Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 10:22pm
post #10 of 11

As a real life Hippie and part of the summer of love...you cant forget the yellow smiley face! I even still have one from 1969. Please post the pictures of you cake. Peace!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 10:31pm
post #11 of 11

Don't forget the Love Beads!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%