What's The Best Way To Get Started With Piping?

Decorating By marknelliesmum Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 3:19am by cassi_g16

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Folks

Just wondered if some of you could point me in the right direction with teaching myself how to pipe. I have seen a few dvds and bits n pieces on youtube and it looks easy but when I try it's a disaster. I have a set of 50 Wilton nozzles and would love to add piped detail to my cakes which are mainly fondant based coz i'm not too bad at making models from fondant but I would love to be able to pipe. I have tried making RI but the consistency was wrong ( i think) and i tried using some left over SMBC but that got too hot and soft too quickly. Any ideas would be great especialy if someone could advise what to practise with eg. buttercream, ganache etc.

Thanks in anticipation!

6 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 7

The source I always recommend is the Wilton website's decorating techniques section -

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/basic/index.cfm

And please, don't expect to get the swing of this right away. It takes practice, practice, and more practice.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 7

Be sure to start with a good sturdy bc. The one I use is:

1 cup crisco
2 sticks butter
1 tsp clear vanilla
pinch salt
2 lbs. powdered sugar

You can practice on the back of a cake pan or cookie sheet. Once you run out of icing in your bag, just scrape it off and start again.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:02pm
post #4 of 7

Do they have Crisco in Scotland?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:14pm
post #5 of 7

Hi Guys
No we don't have Crisco over here icon_eek.gif (we have given the world penicillin, tarmac, the telephone, television and Andrew Carnegie to name but a few, but we don't do Crisco - can you believe it?) but i read recently on other posts that we can substitute with white Flora - I've not been out to source it yet!

Thanks for helping thumbs_up.gif

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:29pm
post #6 of 7

I think you might also be able to use Trex too and if that doesn't work visit http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-Stateside-Candy-Co_Crisco_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ8204681QQftidZ2QQtZkm where you will find lots of American products including Crisco.

cassi_g16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassi_g16 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:19am
post #7 of 7

I taught my self using the wilton techniques and a piece wax paper taped to the countericon_wink.gif I am not very good at any of them yet I usually do a very simple border I don't even know the name of it but it kinda just lookes like little balls!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%