Are Wilton Classes Worth It?

Decorating By candee2300 Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 2:01am by lisad1

candee2300 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 9:09pm
post #1 of 20

I am a new cake decorator. I am humbled everytime I look at cakes on this site. Everything I learned I learned from the internet. The only class I have taken was a gumpaste flower one from Jennifer Dontz. (really great class). I started decorating with fondant and have really never learned buttercream techniques and such. My community college is offering wilton classes and I was wondering if you really learn a lot from these classes. If you could take a peek at my cakes and offer me some advice I would really appreciate. Thank you!!!

19 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 9:45pm
post #2 of 20

Take them anyway, whether you feel you need them or not. Or at least, take the first one. You never know what the instructor will tell you which is not in the books or available online.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

APrettyCake Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 20

If anything, they help you learn the correct techniques for bag angles, uses for tips, differences in icings and their uses, etc...
BC decorating will be much easier if you are taught these things icon_smile.gif

disneygirl44 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 20

take the classes!! I took the ones from michaels craft store all 4 courses. I loved it! I have been doing cakes for years, but i was always afraid to make flowers or any of those things. I am now pretty good at them! I learned about alot of stuff and some secrets from the insrtuctor!!! LOL! Go for it!!

tracey1970 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 20

I loved them to learn lots of skills but also to get out of the house for a few hours and do something I love with others who do too - had a newborn at home at that time!

tracycakes Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 9:54pm
post #6 of 20

They are not expensive and I think they really help you learn the basics. There are several tips and techniques they can teach you about so I think they are definitely helpful.

datalore Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 20

Your cakes are wonderful!!! you are probably way ahead in terms of skill level for these classes, but I love taking anything and everything that comes my way! You can never learn too much, and Wilton does have some good techniques for piping and royal icing flower making. If you are not comfortable with buttercream, then Wilton is a good place to start.

gingersoave Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 9:57pm
post #8 of 20

I love your cakes, they are lovely. Yes, I highly recommend taking all the Wilton classes (not just because I am a Wilton instructor). But even if you pick up just one little measly tip or trick it can totally affect how your cake may turn out or you may learn just some extra things above and beyond from your instructor that may just happen to be addicted to Cake Central (like me!!!)

So my vote is YES!!!!

Daisys_Cakes Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:03pm
post #9 of 20

I would say go for it! Although I may not use all the techniques I have learned from classes the fact is they gave me experience with the mediums and introduced me to techniques I never would have tried otherwise. For example I took course 3 because I wanted to learn the RI flowers but I had no interest in fondant, well, guess what happened? I made my first fondant cake and loved it! Now I almost always cover my cakes with fondant (I love Michelle Fosters Delicious Fondant recipe by the way). My point is I think they are a great chance to explore and just have fun!

HTH!

Daisys_Cakes Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:06pm
post #10 of 20

By the way I love your cakes! Can you send me instructions for your orchid?

Thanks!

mgdsue02 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:10pm
post #11 of 20

I too have taken all the Wilton classes and would recommend taking them. There were a lot of things that I wouldn't have learned had I not seen them done. And, my teacher was always passing along little tips to make this or that easier.

veronica720 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:11pm
post #12 of 20

I agree with the others. I took the first three courses and I learned some very good tips. The instructor will be able to tell you many things that are not in books and certain experiences they have had. Plus the classes are inexpensive, especially if you catch them during a special

kakeladi Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:21pm
post #13 of 20

As ev eryone has said - YES! they are worth the time and effort. You said you don't know much about BC so why not learn it?
Please do go w/the attitude that you know nothingicon_smile.gif It will help the instructor.
Do be aware that not every Wilton instructor is great. Not every one shares more info than what is in the book. Find out how long the instructor has been teaching. Then find out how long she/he has been decorating. Wilton is famous for using people who have just finished their classes and don't know anything more than what they were just taught.
Hopefully you will get one that is a super decorator and a very sharing one.

CakeMakar Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:25pm
post #14 of 20

I looked at your cakes and I think they are headed down a great path. I really think you would be better served finding classes at a local cake shop if they are available. They can not only teach you basics, but advanced techniques as well. With the recent raise in Wilton class cost, my local classes are only $10-15 more, and usually run 6 weeks.

Plus Wilton classes really stress the "Wilton Way" and their line of products. There is so much more out there!

For a newbie unsure of what they want to do with the skill - I'd totally say the Wilton classes. They taught me a lot when I was starting out.
I think it would be a good review/refinement for you, but would learn more at an actual cake shop's classes.

candee2300 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:26pm
post #15 of 20

thanks so much for all your input-I guess I'll be signing up this fall-yaa!

DaisyLisa17 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:42pm
post #16 of 20

Ditto!! I thought I knew what I was doing... until I started taking the classes! They have really helped me learn things I thought I knew how to do and I am learning so much else. And the instructors are there own bundle of knowledge and personal experiences to share. Its nice to sit down with a professional who has been there a million times and can share there opinions. I go to my class every week asking mine about cakes I am doing outside of class. I start Course 3 next week and I can not wait!

Joybeth Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:44pm
post #17 of 20

Well if you can take classes at Michaels for the month of August the classes are 40% off. I am currently taking the 3rd level and really enjoy it! Sure some of the stuff you already know but it is fun learning the different ways to do it.

Dixiegal01 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 11:07pm
post #18 of 20

My vote is YES!! I really enjoyed the classes. I still need to take the Gumpaste (4th class), I think I'll have to see if my Michael's or Hobby Lobby has one starting soon.

SweetPea0613 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:43am
post #19 of 20

I vote YES to take them!! I just finished my first course and it was awesome!!! I can't wait to take my second one!!! icon_biggrin.gif

lisad1 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 2:01am
post #20 of 20

First off, your pictures are great!!

I'd agree with everyone else and say to take the classes too. I've been playing for a few months, and just finished my first course yesterday.
Well I FINALLY learned how to make a buttercream rose... icon_cry.gif (tears of joy!) (My masterpiece (kidding) is in my pics) I truly thought I'd never get the hang of it. And there were defintely things that I learned in class that I didn't now going in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%