How Far In Advance Do You Book Consults/tastings?

Business By Swede-cakes Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 11:10pm by mommicakes

Swede-cakes Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 7

I have a bride with a date of August 2009, and she's looking for cake info from me. (I don't remember booking my own cake a year in advance, but I recently read on weddingwire.com that brides these days are booking all vendors waaay in advance.)

Being a year away from her date, would I let her book a consult/tasting anytime soon? If so, how do you handle the cake quote issue? Would I let them do the tasting and if they want to book with me, have them pay a "reserve the date" fee, only to price out the cake more exactly when we get like 6 months away from her date? Sorry, I'm rambling!

If anyone can clarify this for me, or offer some sage advice, I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

6 replies
JoAnnB Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 7

depends on how much you want the job.

If you really want it. taste now, book and reserve the date (NON refundable deposit) then full payment minimum 30 days ahead of the wedding date.

Normally, a price today would be the same for the contract in a year. that is the advantage to the bride, to get todays price by booking early.

indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:39am
post #3 of 7

I did mine just as JoAnn said until my spreadsheet showed me eggs were going up 18% a month and flour was going up 35% every three weeks, etc. Now I"m re-evaluating my policy and pricing. At this point, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it but it's definitely a project that is very active with me right now. I want to enable them to lock in the price ... I can do that WAY easier with a cake, than I can with the catering side.

I seem to be getting all the last minute brides now. Have them looking at cakes with their wedding less than 30 days away ... lots of Sept and Nov inquiries (which, to me, is "last minute" simply because of so many brides that I encounter who are planning way in advance).

isista Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I seem to be getting all the last minute brides now. Have them looking at cakes with their wedding less than 30 days away ... lots of Sept and Nov inquiries (which, to me, is "last minute" simply because of so many brides that I encounter who are planning way in advance).

well indydebi, what about this one?
the bride called on July 28th for wedding date Aug.17for 200 guests..After a 10 minute phone talk(which i explained the preparation and decoration process) she just said well ,three days before the wedding i will give you a call. and we can prepare?? just like i am waiting here like ready set go?? I was trying to be calm and just said i cannot even prepare a birthday cake for 20 in 2 days..if she wants it she should be prepared to pay deposit by august 1.

PinkZiab Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 7

In my area (Northern NJ/NYC Metro area), it's pretty standard to book all of your wedding vendors a year or more in advance. In-demand cake decorators almost require it. Anything less than 6 months is considered "short notice." I, of course, am not "in demand" by anyone lol, so I just roll with things as they come.

ShopGrl1128 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 7

For me, 2008 wedding bookings are official closed.
All my inquires, bookings and consultations right now are for 2009 weddings.

mommicakes Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 11:10pm
post #7 of 7

Much to my surprise, I have been busy this summer I have had a wedding booked every weekend starting in May, and am pretty much booked through the fall. Recently I have been getting the inquiries about next year. icon_biggrin.gif I had a consult w/a bride for July 4th 2009 and sold her my complete wedding package. (somewhat like what indydebi offers; punch, mints, cake, plates/cups/forks, and more) THANKS INDYDEBI!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif I just made an scheduled a consult for a wedding in Sept. 09 for 2 weeks from now. (she is coming in from Seattle to VT).

I am super happy to be going out that far right now.

(On a side note, I have had quite a few people from the west coast coming to the east coast and getting married this year)!! They found me I can't wrap my head around that. icon_redface.gif

Thanks for reading. icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%