How Much Should I Charge?

Decorating By baycheeks1 Updated 15 Aug 2008 , 2:43am by baycheeks1

baycheeks1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycheeks1 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 18

Ok so I am already making the wedding cake for my cousins wedding and his fiance wants me to make like a suprise grooms cake for him. I am attching a pic so you can see what it looks like...anyways How much should I charge? Take into account that I did give them a really good deal on the wedding cake, but since its my first one then I decided what the heck...So how much should I charge for this?
LL

17 replies
Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 18

It's a covered in fondant, and a lot of detail.....no less than $3.50 a serving

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 18

First off howdy! I am in Northwest Houston, Tomball!

I am a newbie decorator but I would think you could probably call around see what your area is for fondant.

I agree no less then 3.50, and I would even say maybe 4.50, there have been many many topics about pricing, you could also look there. Dont cut yourself short, this cake is cool and very detailed!
Good luck and we cant wait to see it and the wedding cake!

Alicia

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 10:00pm
post #4 of 18

Hi girls, another texan here! icon_biggrin.gif
I agree with Alicia, You should charge what your time and cake is worth. In the houston area I woud say $4.50 a serving, especially if they got a discount on the wedding cake!

chasebrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chasebrad Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 10:14pm
post #5 of 18

I used to be north of Houston in Humble. And I would say the $4.00 to $4.50 per serving would be about right!

Awesome cake! Love all the detail work.....you should consider all the time that went into making it look so perfect!

Best of luck and congrats on your first wedding cake!

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 10:16pm
post #6 of 18

whoah...i've never seen so many texan members on one post...i'm in agreeance with everyone i wouldn't charge less than $3.50 per serving. actually i think that is to little, i'd probably go with something like $5-7 per serving. good luck, make sure to post pics when it's done.

chris

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 18

whoah...i've never seen so many texan members on one post...i'm in agreeance with everyone i wouldn't charge less than $3.50 per serving. actually i think that is to little, i'd probably go with something like $5-7 per serving. good luck, make sure to post pics when it's done.

chris

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 1:19am
post #8 of 18

According to Norman Davis is a class that I took, he says sculpted cakes should be NO LESS than $5.00 a serving.

That's what I get for an all fondant cake. That one is covered in fondant AND silver luster dust or airbrush silver. Don't undersell yourself.

baycheeks1 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 3:09am
post #9 of 18

Well thanks guys, I told my the client a price...you guys would so be disappointed with what I charged...and I was satisfied with the price and and she said she would have paid more...so I guess I'll know what to charhe the next time. But thanks..I will let yall know how the wedding cake and the grooms cake come out...will post pics!

baycheeks1 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 12:04am
post #10 of 18

Said I would post a pic of the grooms cake...here it is
LL

valbos22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valbos22 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:46pm
post #11 of 18

Nice job! How much did you end up charging (if that is not rude to ask icon_redface.gif )?

baycheeks1 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 3:50pm
post #12 of 18

I charged $90...eventhough afterwards I thought about it and was like..you are so special!! But thats Ok I know for next time!

valbos22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valbos22 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 3:56pm
post #13 of 18

Wow, they got a deal-- that came out really good! icon_surprised.gif

At least it was family! icon_biggrin.gif

baycheeks1 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:05pm
post #14 of 18

Thanks...I know!

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 3:11pm
post #15 of 18

You did a fantastic job on the cake! Very nice! icon_smile.gif

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 9:33pm
post #16 of 18

I hope now one takes this the wrong way. I'm just wondering why do people come on here and ask what they should charge and then charge what they want to anyway? I dont get it. I am not trying to be rude but I'm just wondering what is the point? I think 90 was ok if it was a one layer sheet cake for 30 people that would be $3 per serving. oh well turned out nice

sweetisome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetisome Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 12:55am
post #17 of 18

I too have a pricing question and I haven't yet given them a price. The customer wants a 2 tier cake for a baby shower that will feed about 40 people. I'm figuring I'll need a 6" and 10" tier at 4" deep. I'm not a registered business...just a hobby for profit kinda gal, but I always end up feeling like I'm taking a bath with these things. Any advice?

baycheeks1 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 2:43am
post #18 of 18

Karema, I was just tryint to get an idea of what to charge thats it...didn't really know what to charge for it...

sweetisome, I don't know what to charge...a lot of the time I just go off what I'm doing for the cake, and think about what a bakery would chrage if they were making it...then depending on your experience for what they want base it off of that...a lot of people on here say $2-2.50 a slice sometimes more...but that depends on the ingredients too...So you can just wait to see what people say also

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%