More Sps Questions....

Business By 1234me Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 4:04pm by Solecito

1234me Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 6

LeahS has convinced me this is what I need to try. Currently I am doing dowels and have with no problems until recently. I do not do wedding cakes, only party cakes so I rarely do 3 levels but I do do alot of 2 level stacked cakes - usually it is a 6 inch on top of a 10 inch. I do not deliver so I always put a dowel through the middle through the two tiers. It looks to me that you can't put a dowel through the middle of the SPS. I worry about that top cake shifting. Has anyone had a problem with that? I don't think I would worry so much if it were a larger/heavier cake but that 6 inch cake doesn't have much weight to it and I could see where it could move around if the middle dowel was not there to support it. Any thoughts on this?

5 replies
Solecito Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 6

That's one of my questions, how about the center dowel?

Let's see what the rest of the gals have to say...

JodieF Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:14pm
post #3 of 6

I just ordered SPS for a 6, 9, 12, 15, 18 inch cake. Nope, they're plastic plates. You wouldn't be able to put a dowel through the whole thing. But, there is a raised post in the middle of each plate. You're supposed to poke a hole up through your cardboard round from bottom to top, and make it larger with a skewer. Then you put your cake on it. When you put the cake on the plate, it sits on that post so your cake wouldn't move.

CakeryBakery Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:30am
post #4 of 6

There's a little "numb" that will hold the plate in place. However, because I travel with 2 or 3 completely stacked wedding cakes I like a little more security. I actually use tape to stick the cardboard cake circle to the SPS plate.

leah_s Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 11:13am
post #5 of 6

IMO that center dowel gives you a false peace of mind anyway. If your cake is truly going over sideways, the dowel that's driven into the board at the bottom will remain - and tear right thru your cake.

Solecito Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 6

icon_surprised.gif I think that's what hapenned to my last big cake!!

Thank you leahs!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%