Any Great Tasting Crusting Bc Without Crisco??

Decorating By serenelui Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 1:05pm by sfunky67

serenelui Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 13

Hi all... i recently tried the crusting buttercream recipe (viva method) here on CC and while it worked great.. i found it a bit too sweet and well.. i didn't like the plastic taste of the crisco with every bite of my cake. icon_cry.gif Does anyone have a great tasting crusting buttercream recipe that doesn't use crisco? Or can anyone advise what frosting i can use under fondant without needing the cake to be placed in the freezer for the frosting to set before i can place the fondant on the cake?

Btw.. i can't get sweetex here icon_sad.gif

12 replies
serenelui Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:24pm
post #2 of 13

*bump* anyone??

enolap Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:25pm
post #3 of 13

I always use buttercream under my fondant and have never put it in the freezer to set. I usually don't apply very much buttercream, just enough to help the fondant stick.

serenelui Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 13

hi enolap... thanks for your tip.. i was however hoping to put a slightly thicker layer of frosting just in case people don't like the taste of fondant and want to peel off the fondant.. that way they still have some frosting to go with the cake.. :p

Unfortunately i hate the taste of crisco and i need a crusting frosting recipe to work with to enable me to place the fondant on the cake and smooth it without the frosting shifting around under the fondant icon_sad.gif any ideas?

hammer1 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 13

Everyone loves our buttercream. We use alpine, real butter, real madagascar vanilla, and sometimes a little buttervan. It is always a hit. Don't do fondant, but this can be smoothed to look like buttercream.
Took a cake sample to a friend yesterday and they thougt it was fondant, wasn't just good old smoothed buttercream.

aswartzw Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 13

Try indydebi's recipe (it's in the recipe section). Also, if it's too sweet (all american BC's will be) add a pinch of salt.

I also like to add a lot of BC to my cakes before covering in fondant. The majority who eat my cakes don't like fondant.

I'd suggest SMBC but that will need refrigerated before covering in fondant.

serenelui Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 4:47pm
post #7 of 13

Hi hammer1... i think this is going to sound really stupid but what is alpine and buttervan? haha.. i don't have these items over here so i actually don't know what they refer to icon_smile.gif

Hi aswartzw,.... i'll go check out indydebi's recipe.. thanks for the heads up icon_smile.gif To the the truth, i used salted butter in the original buttercream recipe i tried... haha.. but i still found it too sweet icon_smile.gif As for SMBC, i am worried about using it as its very humid where i am and am worried about condensation after taking the cake out of the fridge, plus the SMBC would get too soft and cause problems with the fondant later on :p But thanks so much for the suggestion of SMBC.. I'm thinking of trying them on some cupcakes later on icon_smile.gif

hammer1 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 5:40pm
post #8 of 13

sorry everyone, I can't spell I guess.

It is butavan and you can buy it numerous places We get it from sugarcraft. It is a buttery spelling additive, icing smells wonderful.

Alpine is a high ration shortening made for making icing. Google it for more information. We buy it in the 70 pound bulk and pay my daughter to weight it out into pound qualtities.

cassi_g16 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 6:17pm
post #9 of 13

Buttercream dream uses a combo of butter and crisco. You get the good taste from the butter, But I think it needs a little crisco in it to add a little more stability. It may not be true but this is my opinion.

serenelui Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 7:07pm
post #10 of 13

thanks hammer1 and cassi_g... i can't get butavan nor Alpine where i am and its too expensive for me to ship over.. so i'll probably have to look for substitutes icon_smile.gif
As for crisco... i guess i just don't like the taste.. and was wondering whether there is any replacement i could use in place of crisco. Some said to use high-ratio shortening... is there any difference between crisco and high ratio shortening?

sfunky67 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:56pm
post #11 of 13

I can share my recipe for buttercream...I do use Crisco, but have not ever had bad results with it. Here is my 'tweaked' version of Wilton's buttercream recipe...

1 C. butter, softened
1 C. Crisco
2 T. cold water
1 t. Wilton clear vanilla
1 t. Wilton butter flavoring
1/2 t. pure almond extract
dash salt
1 32 oz. bag powdered sugar
2 T. Wilton meringue powder, optional

In a large bowl, thoroughly combine butter and Crisco. Slowly add cold water and mix until smooth and creamy. Add flavorings and salt. Slowly add powdered sugar (and meringue powder, if used) and beat on low speed for several minutes. Mixture will be THICK! Thin with additional cold water or corn syrup ONE TEASPOON at a time until of desired consistency.

This icing is sweet, but sooo flavorful! Also, I only use Duncan Hines mixes when I bake cakes, and people rave about them. Every time I try homemade cakes, they stick to the pan and are simply not as good as Duncan Hines. I am not a fan of fondant, because my philosophy is if I am going to present a cake for you to eat, you should be able to cut it and dig in! I used the Viva method last weekend for my first wedding cake, and it was fantastic! I used the Pampered Chef food scraper to smooth the icing over the paper towel and was beyond pleased with the results. As soon as I figure how to post the picture on the website, I will do it. Hope this helps! thumbs_up.gif

serenelui Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:58am
post #12 of 13

wow!! thanks so much for sharing the recipe sfunky67.. hmm.. i'm now wondering if the almond extract actually helps to cover up the plastic taste of crisco.. icon_smile.gif I don't have that so maybe that's why the plastic crisco taste comes through.. i'll try making a small batch of your recipe and see if the crisco taste still comes through.. icon_smile.gif Thanks so much.

by the way.. can anyone tell me whether there is any difference between crisco, margarine and hi-ratio shortening?

sfunky67 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:05pm
post #13 of 13

Let me know how you like the icing...I love it, but would like an un-biased opinion!
I am going to try and find hi-ratio shortening and maybe give it a try...

Quote by @%username% on %date%