Best Place To Start Experimenting With Gumpaste Flowers

Decorating By aswartzw Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 6:06pm by aswartzw

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:43pm
post #1 of 8

Hey CCers!

I've been wanting to experiment with gumpaste flowers (my experience exists with Wilton's Course III roses) but dont' have the $$ to spend taking Wilton's gumpaste course.

Where do you suggest I start making gumpaste roses and what tools do I need? I bought the new gumpaste tools set by Wilton but don't know if it's worth my $$ to buy Wilton's gumpaste cutter set or just mix and match as I go.

Or any good links for directions???

I am going to try my hand at Gerbera daisies next week since I have what I need for those.

Any and all help is appreciated. I am just completely overwhelmed with everything out there. Thanks!

7 replies
melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 8

I'd look for some books or even the gumpaste flower set you can get should include a direction book in it.

I don't really make gumpaste flowers (or work with gumpaste all that much) but if you can look at some flowers on this site and IM someone who has done something close to what you are wanting to do, I'm sure they can help you with directions or answer questions.

Good luck!

veronica970206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica970206 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:12pm
post #3 of 8

What I did is I used my Michael's coupon and purchased the gumpaste flower kit and taught myself. It was pretty much no different than the courses you take at the Craft stores, they pretty much read from the book, practice it and demo it for you to learn. As long as you have time and patience you will be able to do it. As time goes by you should begin to download pics of flowers, and while adding finishing touches on your flowers experiment with the different dusts to give it more of a natural finish. Start with babysteps by just making the buds, then add the petals, and slowly you will keep progressing. I wish you all the best.

Sincerely,
Veronica

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:17pm
post #4 of 8

If you go to JenniferDontz.com, when you buy Cutters from Jen, you can email her and ask her for the flower instructions. She is a wonderful teacher and very kind. Her flowers are wonderful and her instructions are really easy to understand!!! If you can ever take a class from her go for it!! Totally worth what you pay and then some!!!!

HTH
Jessica

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 8

Can't think of her name right now, duh, but you can watch videos on you tube from a fellow cc'er. She does a calla tutorial. You can watch aine2's you tube video on the roses. The person the PP mentioned also has videos (I think, anyway). Don't know if they're cheaper than the GP classes. The GP classes aren't offered in my area any more icon_cry.gif

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:34pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizatchgirl

Can't think of her name right now, duh, but you can watch videos on you tube from a fellow cc'er. She does a calla tutorial. You can watch aine2's you tube video on the roses. The person the PP mentioned also has videos (I think, anyway). Don't know if they're cheaper than the GP classes. The GP classes aren't offered in my area any more icon_cry.gif

Tonedna is the one with the calla tutorial. Jennifer does have Dvd's however they are not gumpaste, she says when she gets her return from the first two dvd's then she will be making more. By the way you can always host one of Jennifer's classes just ask what date is available and get 8 people together and give Jen a place to lay her head for the two days and you got yourself a wonderful class!!!!

Hth

Jessica

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 5:24pm
post #7 of 8

IMHO Nicholas Lodge has the most wonderful GP flower DVDs.

When I started making GP flowers I went nuts purchasing a lot of cutters (some I've never even used). You may want to think about what flowers you will make most often and get those cutters (yes - I second the Jennifer Dontz cutters with instructions - I refuse to spend another penny on expensive cutters that don't come with detailed instructions).

The flowers you may only make a few times, you are better off making your own templates of the petals and leaves (there are a lot of templates on this site). Even for roses you don't need a cutter, just roll out a ball and smash it into the petal shape you want.

The tools I've found invaluable for working are:

A good heavy weight ball tool:

http://globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=19048 (promise you will never use a plastic ball tool again)

A sturdy foam pad (you could probably even get some good foam at the craft store):

http://globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=16793

I also love the celcakes board but you probably already have something you can use for cutting out.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 6:06pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks you guys. Your advice is so helpful. I think I just need to sit down and decide what I want to make the most and figure this out, roses, calla lilies, daisies, irises.

I will definitely check out Jennifer Dontz' site and look into Nicholas Lodge DVDs. His work is amazing!

Thanks snowshoe for the recommended tools and links. This is invaluable information!

With your help things are definitely looking better! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%