Can Fondant Go In Frig?

Decorating By donyell Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 6:25pm by SWEETBAKES

donyell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donyell Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 5

I have a customer who wants a fondant covered wedding cake with some kind of filling. If we do cream cheese or mousse I know it has to be refrigerated. I read somewhere that fondant couldn't be refrigerated. She brought in a book from a local bakery and sure enough they serve mousse and their cake is covered in fondant.

Don't know what the answer is? I will also call bakery. If you have any suggestions please help

Thanks,
Donyell

4 replies
RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 5

99.9% of all of my cakes are covered in fondant and 100% of them sit in the refrigerator before delivery. Refrigeration will not hurt the fondant once you put in on your cake.

I just wouldn't store my buckets of unused fondant in the fridge!

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 5

If you refrigerate you fondant covered cake, will it not get sweaty and sticky when you take it out? How do you prevent this? I've always been curious about the whole fridge no fridge issue.. icon_smile.gif

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 5

I use Satin Ice fondant only. I'm not sure how homemade fondant will fare once taken out of the fridge.

Try a little experiment with what you use...

Roll out a piece of fondant. Put in on wax paper. Leave it in the fridge overnight. Take it out and let it come to room temperature.

If it gets sweaty or sticky, then you'll know not to do it with your recipe/brand of fondant.

SWEETBAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SWEETBAKES Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 6:25pm
post #5 of 5

I have refridgerated fondant cakes & fondant accented cakes. But what I did was boxed the cake, taped it shut, then wrapped the box in plastic wrap, and they came out fine w/out sweating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%