Ice Cream Wedding Cake?

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 3 Aug 2008 , 2:07pm by Monkess

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:17pm
post #1 of 6

A friend contacted me b/c her friend wants an ice cream wedding cake. Either all ice cream or 1/2 cake 1/2 ice cream. Decorated. I gracefully declined.

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Has anyone done one? I wouldn't even know where to begin. How could you decorate w/o it melting, let alone deliver, and the reception?

5 replies
sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:23pm
post #2 of 6

I guess I would probably just make a dummy cake, and then have the ice cream cake in the back. I wonder if she wants this because it would be different, or b/c she likes ice cream? If she just likes ice cream then they can always just serve ice cream with the cake. Or it would be neat to have it for a winter wedding. You could set the cake outside in the cold outside of a big picture window.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 6

I make ice cream cakes for those who want them... they are always in the freezer (duh!) and I take them out for a couple of minutes at a time to ice them... mine are 1/2 cake and 1/2 ice cream... I put the ice cream layer in the middle to keep it from melting so fast (the frozen cake helps insulate it).

They are no more trouble than regular cakes... but must be served at a venue which has commercial freezers and the location has to be within 10 minutes of where I make it... I have been known to take the frozen cake early to the venue (previous day) and assemble it on the premises so that it will be totally frozen when presented.

Use a dummy for all the layers except one; let them cut the ice cream layer; and then cut the rest in the back. You will need many servers to get it out to the guests at the same time or you will have a mess on your hands.

Do not give up on this... it makes for a great cake!

maryj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryj Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 11:37pm
post #4 of 6

I've made this cake http://www.recipezaar.com/237495 a dozen times. I get many requests from family and friends for this. It freezes really hard and you almost have to leave it sit out for awhile before you can cut it. I do all kinds of flavor combinations. The one I have in the freezer right now is, Chocolate fudge with peanut butter cups for the first layer, homemade vanilla for the second and mint chocolate chunk for the third. It is truly a delicious dessert and very easy to make. The cake was originally on the cover of Family circle last summer.

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 11:22am
post #5 of 6

maryj- I love the use of the ice cream sandwiches. It makes it very pretty. When I make mine I usually use the ice cream as the filling between layers of cake. So yummy.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 6

Sounds like a dream!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%