Is Smoky Amethyst Luster Dust Really Purple?

Decorating By lardbutt Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 10:51pm by 2sdae

lardbutt Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 5:04am
post #1 of 6

I hate to ask a stupid question, but I just don't know!

I know amethyst is purple, but the photo looks really dark.

I actually need black luster dust, but aparently it does not exist. I keep seeing petal dust, but it is matte and I need something with sparkle.

I am painting a gumpaste shoe btw.

So what would you guys recommend for me to buy? I need it for Aug. 7, so I need to order now!

Thanks, Sherri

5 replies
Shola Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 9:19am
post #2 of 6

I'd say it would be a definate purple when you paint with it even though it looks almost black in the pot. How about using the black petal dust with a smidge of silver or pearl luster mixed in? icon_confused.gif
Just a thought icon_smile.gif

marknelliesmum Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 9:48am
post #3 of 6

Hi MessyBaker
I did a black and white cake a few weeks back (white cake with black flowers). I experimented a wee bit (coz i wasn't sure what to use) including mixing black dust with alcohol then painting , mixing black tint with luster dust (snowflake colour) but i found the nicest result came from colouring my flowerpaste black (using black paste colour ) then dusting with the snowflake luster dust. I'm not sure if the names of the lustres are the same over here - if not the snowflake looks like a pearl white colour in the tub but only adds sparkle not any whiteness - don't know if that makes sense icon_confused.gif I also tried using a silver lustre but the result was not as nice.
Hope this helps.
AnneMarie

grama_j Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:33am
post #4 of 6

I'm pretty sure that Global Sugar Art has the Black dust.....you could try them...they ship fast too !!

lardbutt Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:42pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much ladies. I had already painted my black gumpaste shoe with silver luster dust, but did not like the result. (for the look I want) I will purchase the black petal dust and try that.

Thanks, Sherri

2sdae Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:51pm
post #6 of 6

try black disco dusts...globalsugarart now has them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%