Best Buttercream Recipe For Roses

Decorating By staten93 Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 7:13pm by JoAnnB

staten93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staten93 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 4:25am
post #1 of 4

I am taking the first course in the Wilton cake decorating classes and I can't stand the class buttercream recipe. We are supposed to use it but I think it is terrible and difficult to work with. I am looking for recipes and suggestions for your favorite buttercream recipe to practice roses with. I usually use a recipe that is half butter and half shortening and wasn't sure if that would work better. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help.

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 5:48am
post #2 of 4

The class buttercream is perfect for roses, the trick is to have it the correct consistancy. It might help to add a bit of piping gel, cornsyrup or even glycerine to the icing to smooth it out a bit.

An icing that is part butter and part shortening will also work fine, it just isn't all white.

staten93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staten93 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks JoannB for the tip. I will try your idea. The icing just kept pulling apart and I think adding something to it will be perfect-like you said to smooth it out. You are just up I-5 from me-I live in Albany, Oregon. I'm getting ready to head to the Benton County fair to watch my nieces and nephew show their sheep. On Saturday I get to judge. It is so much fun. I look forward to it every year. Thanks again for the suggestion. I am going to try that tomorrow.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 4

Sounds fun. Let me know if I can help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%