Book Cakes

Decorating By ryan_raquel0807 Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 6:47pm by elainec

ryan_raquel0807 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ryan_raquel0807 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:32am
post #1 of 7

Hi there!

I was just looking through the galleries and came across the "Book Cakes" gallery. Amazing! I love them! My mom is an avid reader and I would LOVE to make her a birthday cake for next year. Can someone give me pointers on how to make a stack of books? Specifically, I'm assuming you make two or three rectangle cakes separatly and then just stack them at angles, correct? Do you need dowels or something? And one last thing - most of them look like real books in that the cover slightly juts out over the "pages." How do you get that look? Any help would be amazing!! Thanks!

6 replies
deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 8:54am
post #2 of 7

not sure about the actual book details but anytime you stack cakes you need to dowel it so it does not sink on itself, the ony time i would not dowel a cake is if you are stacking a few small rounds in the same size simiular to if you split a cake to add filling.

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 12:44pm
post #3 of 7

I saw Ace of cakes carve them out of a large sheet the other night, but there has to be an easier way.

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 12:53pm
post #4 of 7
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 7

the books were easy just time consuming. a thick piece of white scored fondant with the lines was placed on the 3 sides for the pages. the spine and top cover were one piece. i added a TON of tylose to the colored fondant. rolled it out just under 1/4 inch thick. let it set up some before i put it on the cake. go no more than 1/4 inch over the top edge of the cake or cover will droop. I propped the corners up with viva for a while so they would not droop. the bottm "cover" is just strips (1/4 inch wide) applied along the bottom white part of the pages.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 3:41pm
post #6 of 7

On the book that I made I actually wrapped the fondant completely under like an actual cover. I couldn't use small strips because the book hung over the edge of the pedistal too much for that. For the pages, I put lines into the frosting with a ruler. The only fondant was the blue cover. The picture is in my photos. Hope that helps.

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 6:47pm
post #7 of 7

Even though I didn't post the question, thanks for such clear answers, it really helps to undestand the exact process. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%