Lindy Smith Cake: How Do I Do This?

Decorating By nannie Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 2:38am by chasebrad

nannie Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:02am
post #1 of 5

I'm trying to figure out how she draped the fondant to acheive that gathering at the top. Do you think it's done from the sides rather than over the top?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I tried to find her books at the library but no luck.
LL

4 replies
janelwaters Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:16am
post #2 of 5

I have the book:

1. cut out a 25.5cm (10in) diameter circle from thin card and remove a 4 cm (1 1/2in)circle from its centre. Cut away a quarter of the circle, and then roll the remainder into a cone a stick the edges together. Balance the cone on top of the present.

2. Roll out the white modelling paste into a strip between the narrow spacers. Cut the strip to a width of 9cm (3 1/2in) and lenght of 60cm (24in). Gather up on long edge, paint it with sugar glue and place it around the protruding posy pick inside the card cone. Arrange the paste to form folds using small pieces of foam to support them. Place to one side to dry thoroughly.

OK - couple things. She covered the whole square with fondant and then put a "posey pick" (flower holder thingy - haha) in the middle of the cake to hold the wires of the flowers/hearts. The narrow spacers are made from 1.5mm (1/16in) thick card. by card I'm assuming she means cardstock.

Hope that helps and if you have any other questions please feel free to PM me.

nannie Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:20am
post #3 of 5

janelwaters

thanks so much for the instructions.

Think I'm going to try and do a dry run with tissue paper so I can get a hang of it.

I appreciate your help.

janelwaters Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:26am
post #4 of 5

My pleasure! I'm sorta addicted to books and especially books on cakes so I have all (i think) of Lindy Smiths books and all of Debbie Brown except a couple that were not of interest to me.

if you have problems let me know and I will let you know what the directions say.

chasebrad Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:38am
post #5 of 5

I don't have the book with that cake in it. But I did meet her and get a signed copy of her most recent book while I was at the ICES convention. She was very nice and was demonstrating right in the vendor showroom.
Best of luck with your cake! Can't wait to see it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%