Anyone Here Have A Kitty With Epilepsy?

Lounge By roosterroses Updated 6 Aug 2008 , 4:27am by roosterroses

roosterroses Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:52am
post #1 of 11

Hello fellow decorators...
I am holding back the tears as I type this, but this is my first experience with a furry baby (kitty, Maggie - 7yr old) who is exhibiting symptoms of epilepsy - we have an appointment with the vet early in the morning, but I can't stop thinking of her and her "episode" today. She is acting normal now, and is playful, eating fine, and all around perky as she gets. But this morning, she woke me up with such a noise of her flailing around - I moved the laundry basket away from her and petted her and spoke calmly to her. She stopped, looked at me as if to say "what's going on?", and just lay there on the floor. I picked her up and held her. She was panting and foaming and purring all at the same time. She finally calmed down and stayed close to me. I called the vet and they are great to reassure me that we will do all we can to find out what we can, and that a lot of cats who have epilepsy do well with preventative meds.
In the past, she has awaken me by storming into the bedroom and knocking down everything in her way - I thought she was having bad dreams and getting scared. Oh, my.... we will see what the vet says tomorrow.

Anyone here have a furry baby with epilepsy? Anything trigger it?

Thanks for listening.

10 replies
sadiepix Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:32am
post #2 of 11

I don't have one anymore, but I did many years ago.

There are some great meds for it now, and great treatments, so it can be so much less scary then it used to be.

I am going to PM you some sites that can give you some support/advice and info much better than I can.

Lots of hugs. It is so hard to see a loved one suffering in any way. It can be better though. Glad your vet seemed on the ball and up on current meds.

I'll PM you as soon as I can with the sites.
Much luck at the vet tomorrow too.

ziggytarheel Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:49am
post #3 of 11

I don't have any cat experience, but I did have a dog with epilepsy, so I thought I could offer some encouragement.

This was well over 20 years ago. His epilepsy, it was thought, was brought on by a blow to the head. A little dog who didn't have enough sense to leave a big dog alone! His seizures would cause him to go stiff and tremble. They only lasted a few minutes, and though his eyes always appeared frightened, just a few minutes after the seizure and you would never know anything had happened.

The seizures were somewhat controlled with medication. Getting him to eat that daily pill was interesting. But honestly, the vast majority of the time, you would never know anything was wrong. I'm certain he had to have had a few seizures when we weren't home, but we never returned home thinking he had due to his behavior.

Epilepsy was just one of many issues this dog had, but all of them seemed to be more of a problem for the humans in the house than for him.

roosterroses Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 3:12am
post #4 of 11

Thank you so much for the info and the encouraging words!! We will be anxiously awaiting results from tomorrow's vet visit.

mkolmar Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 3:43am
post #5 of 11

My mom worked at the Epilepsy Center for 19 years. Some people/animals are born with it or it can happen by a blow to the head. Honestly, it can happen with a light tap to the head also. There are about 2,000 different forms of epilepsy.
Just get your kitty on meds and it should be fine.

Ah-na Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 12:30pm
post #6 of 11

Growing up, my dog had epilepsy and he was on meds for it. He hardly ever had any seizures while on the medication. My dad just gave him a pill every day and he had about one seizure a year. Also, my friend's dog (papillon) has been having seizures and figured out the trigger was whenever she deep cleaned. She thinks it might be the chemicals she using. HTH and I hope your kitty feels better!

MustloveDogs Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 11:54pm
post #7 of 11

My dog was epileptic too and led a wonderful full life. He died a couple of years ago at age 9 1/2. He was also deaf, but that is common in white bullterrier dogs anyway.
He was medicated with phenobarbitone I think it was for epilepsy and it worked really well, but didn't stop all the fits. He would stiffen up, drop onto his side and legs kick around and mouth chomping a little in a typical seizure look. He would also usually wet himself at the same time, so I got very good at carrying him outside while avoiding being scratched by his claws while he fitted.
The fits never upset him, he was a little groggy for a couple of minutes afterwards, but had no problems at all from being epileptic.
I want to encourage you to look upon it without fear or concern, Dodger was an extremely special dog with such super personality, I am sure he thought that he was human and I will miss him forever.
I never regretted his epilepsy, and neither should you.
Sorry to hijack the thread, I just wanted to tell you that it is not bad.
Regards Curvy

roosterroses Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 2:14am
post #8 of 11

Thank you for the encouragement! Good news from the vet today - Maggie doesn't have any sickness/illness/condition that would cause the epilepsy - blood test came back neg.
He said to monitor her and see how often/severe the fits become. If she has them often, then she should be medicated. If, however, they only come 3 or 4 times a year, we may avoid the side affects.

We think she knows when she will have an episode as she runs down the hallway to where we are and then it hits her. We shall see what the future brings.

Thank you all again for your support... it sooths a "mommy's" mind!!

waywordz Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 2:16am
post #9 of 11

Did the vet actually diagnose epilepsy. My cat had seizures when she was a kitten. At the pet emergency room we found out she had asthma and allergies. I had an argument with my vet about her "cough" He said cats don't cough, she would wake me up sitting on my chest puffing air in my face! I videotaped her, end of argument. Anyway, the seizures (also vomiting and diarreah) were caused by sevin dust we had used for fleas. My husbands family had used it for years and the bag even said it was safe for 6 weeks and older kittens. she was 8 weeks. We never used the stuff again, obviously. (This was 15 years ago. She passed last year.) She never had another "episode". She was on prednisone all her life.

sweet_tooth55 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 6:23pm
post #10 of 11

I am so sorry. My dog gets seizures about every other month. We were worried when she first had an episode. She gets them if she gets overly stressed or excited over visitors or squirrel/lizard chasing. She also got one when we were trimming her fur around her eyes and the scissors snagged some fur. Our vet said that bug bites such as ant bites can also trigger them. It can be scary but as long as you make her comfortable and safe, she should be okay.

roosterroses Posted 6 Aug 2008 , 4:27am
post #11 of 11

Well, blood tests came back negative - all looks fine as far as that goes. She had another slight "episode" this past weekend - not as fierce. Vet is ordering in meds, and if she has another one soon, we will talk about putting her on the meds.
She has had 3 in the past 4 weeks. ugh.
My cats are indoor cats, and no flea treatments. They chase ants and bugs when they can, and I don't have any plants in the house.

We shall see what the upcoming weeks bring.

Quote by @%username% on %date%